Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Civil War Sniper requirement

Feedback Score

Civil War Sniper requirement

According this article from the History Channel Club:

http://www.thehistorychannelclub.com...ect.aspx?id=86

With the relatively primitive weapon at the time...

at 600 feet, 10 consecutive shots at an average of five inches from the bull’s-eye

So, that's 10 inche group from 200 yds., about 5 MOA. Of course, with a standard infantry weapon today like a M16 with an ACOG, that's not too difficult at all.

But back then, you have to take many actions to reload so the stance has to be change dramatically between shot to shot.

Also, soldiers cast bullets in the field and those are probably not "match grade by today's standard. They have very well made rifles at that time and even primitive scopes, but the precision of their equipment is probably not as good as they are now.

I just found this tidbits of information rather interesting. Anyone has anything else to say?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting.

Here is a link to a book called Sniping in France. It was based on lessons learned in the first World War. This is the complete book in a PDF

http://ia341317.us.archive.org/3/ite...4027946619.pdf
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Interesting.

Here is a link to a book called Sniping in France. It was based on lessons learned in the first World War. This is the complete book in a PDF

I've been reading since you posted, great stuff.

How did you find it?
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by danpass View Post
    I've been reading since you posted, great stuff.

How did you find it?
    Saw the link on the lightfighter forums. I have been reading it tonight as well.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    Last edited by ZDL; 05-01-10 at 02:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Interesting.

nice find.thanks for sharing
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

Feedback Score
    Actually, that seems fairly accurate.

It's been a while, but I spent several years reading just about everything I could get my hands on relating to the military aspect of the CW. Memoirs, histories . . . the US Ordinance Manual of 1861 (read every page except for the logarithm tables ).

Also, I've read Alvin York's memoirs, and various other "black powder" type accounts. Basically, York said that for anything under 100 yards (such as shooting turkeys in the head at local matches), he preferred a "hog rifle" to any of the modern arms.

From everything I have read, a ten inch group at 200 yards is very doable.
    My rapier lay across my knees, and I ran my hand down its worn scabbard. "Here's one that agrees with me," I said. "And up there is Another," and I lifted my hat in acknowledgment of the One True Lawgiver, to whom every man's laws must bow, even those of a King.
    He stared. "God and my good sword!" he cried. "A very knightly dependence . . ."

Feedback Score
    BTW, by the time of the CW, soldier's didn't cast their own bullets unless they had some exotic rifle not supported by army supply (such as Grandad's squirrel gun). Bullets were mass manufactured, rolled into cartridges, and distributed to the troops in crates.
    My rapier lay across my knees, and I ran my hand down its worn scabbard. "Here's one that agrees with me," I said. "And up there is Another," and I lifted my hat in acknowledgment of the One True Lawgiver, to whom every man's laws must bow, even those of a King.
    He stared. "God and my good sword!" he cried. "A very knightly dependence . . ."

Feedback Score
    Interesting link!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice read, thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast