Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What scale to get?

Feedback Score

What scale to get?

So I need to get a scale to start reloading.. Which one does everyone recommend? I was going to get a digital pocket scale from Harbor Freight but then I read somewhere that they were no good.
    For being my first time do I get a digital or a beam scale? I realize the pros of a digital being that they are faster but are they as accurate? What are somethings to look at when shopping for a scale? Is there a difference between a $30 scale and a $130 scale besides $100?
    the primary reason for getting into reloading is to save money and start what looks to be a fun and interesting hobby. Right now I'm not supper worried about spitting out match grade ammo, It's more like how fast can I turn out enough ammo to recoup my investment; but who knows maybe one day I'd like to make match grade ammo. So I want something that is simple enough to start out with but has enough function to allow me to grow in the hobby.
    My other gun is a 155mm howitzer.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Frankly, If you want a digital scale stick with a known good one, Dillon, Pact, are good examples, I started witha RCBS balance beam scale, I still have it, and keep it for a back up. The difference between the Harbor frieght scale and the Dillon or Pact scales is quality...You are going to depend on this scale's accuracy, it has to be right..If it is'nt you could wind up seriously hurt, firearms in pieces, or worse yet..dead. Nice savings..I have a Pact, and it's been a pretty good scale,very accurate. It's recently developed some problems and needs to go back to the factory, this is after 9yrs of use so, I don't consider that a quality issue. If I had to do it all over I'd probably go with the Dillon scale, simply because it comes with a AC adapter, allowing you to plug it into a wall outlet.The Pact is battery operated. Maybe get a good balance beam to start with and as funds allow move up to a digital just get a good one..Keep the balance beam as a back up. There is one small piece of advice I'd like to offer, this is after 28yrs of reloading..I would'nt worry about churning out a bunch of ammo as fast as you can to recoup your investment, reloading is'nt a race, Take your time and pay attention to what you're doing, because one **** up can really cost you,and most people **** up when they're in a hurry,tired, distracted. you'll recoup your investment soon enough..
    Last edited by ralph; 04-08-10 at 10:42.

Feedback Score
    If you are seriously going to be reloading, get the RCBS Chargemaster 1500. Later on you can add the dispensor. Review. When you start doing accuracy loads, you will be glad you spent the money up front.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a Chargemaster and it greatly speeds up the process compared to trickling and beam scales.

I wish I wasn't on my 4th unit .....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have the Dillon beam scale, it was like 50 bucks or something.

You have a 550 and in my experience with mine the powder measure is dead nuts on in over 2500 rounds loaded. Once its set, its set. So for me having a scale that is quick, doesnt matter. I only use it once per loading session or a few times when I am changing powders or what not. I am not using it every 10 rounds when I get cranking like some guys do(I did for about the first 500-700 rounds) since I dont feel its needed since I trust my powder measure.

If I had a separate powder drop and a single stage press, I would probably have an expensive digital, but I dont.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by javentre View Post
    I wish I wasn't on my 4th unit .....
    That sucks. Two years and still running fine on my first.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here's the breakdown:

On the first one, I messed up the keypad. I was willing to pay for it's repair, but they just replaced it. Thank You RCBS!

The 2nd one had the middle row of number keys reported what the right row value was. If you pushed "2", a "3" was actually input.

The 3rd died after it's first power-on.

The latest is running OK, but I haven't given it much of a work out.

I'd still buy one, because RCBS Customer Service is great, and they still have the best product out there.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the insight.. I just bought a RCBS 5-0-2 scale from Sportman's Warehouse. I just opened it up and can not for the life of me get it to zero. Before I take it back I wanna make sure I'm not an idiot.. I have both things set to zero and I've tried to use the leveling leg.

Ok so in the middle of typing this I was messing with the scale, picked it up and set it back down and now its actually working.. I didn't change anything else.. it just started tor work.. Anyone have a problem like this happen with a new scale?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It was on a level (or close to it) table, right?
    Last edited by javentre; 04-08-10 at 14:53.

Feedback Score
    yea its on my bench.. I checked it with a level when I built it.. and its the exact same place I had picked it up from.. I dunno maybe I did somethin and just don't know it..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast