Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxer primed ammo

Feedback Score

Boxer primed ammo

I am not a reloader at this time so my ammo knowlage is small. Is Boxer primed ammo reloadable?

Feedback Score
    Most is. It will have one central flash hole. Berdan primed will have multiple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinheaver View Post
    Most is. It will have one central flash hole. Berdan primed will have multiple.
    +1

Generally:

Boxer = reloadable;

Berdan = not reloadable.

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    I like pictures...

As was mentioned boxer is the reloadable case. That being said though, there is SOME boxer primed ammo you don't want to or might not want to reload.

Aluminum case ammo.....like Blazer. Most agree aluminum is a one shot and toss.

Some folks shy away from reloading nickel plated cases, (silver in appearance), I reload them myself, some folks don't.

Wolf.....a lot of the newer wolf out there is coming in boxer primed, but it is steel cased. I did reload a dozen wolf .45 steel case for the hell of it. They all resized ok no worse than any brass ammo. All worked and cycled fine.
    "Disperse you rebels!, Damn You! Throw down your arms and Disperse!"....British Major Pitcairn at Lexington, April 19th 1775

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    Some folks shy away from reloading nickel plated cases, (silver in appearance), I reload them myself, some folks don't.
    I place a premium on these. They don't tarnish (not nearly as much as bare brass, anyway), they're easier to find on the range, and they seem to "stick" less.

I wasn't aware of any downside.

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I place a premium on these. They don't tarnish (not nearly as much as bare brass, anyway), they're easier to find on the range, and they seem to "stick" less.

I wasn't aware of any downside.

Bimmer
    There are a few folks in the reloading community who swear the nickel will "flake off" and scratch your dies. Or the nickel plating itself just being harder will scratch dies.

I give all my nickel cases a thorough once over and have yet to notice this phenomenon myself. I tumble, lube and resize......and have had no problems to date.

Google (or don't ) "reloading nickel plated brass" you will get quite a few hits with links to various forums and discussions on the controversy.
    "Disperse you rebels!, Damn You! Throw down your arms and Disperse!"....British Major Pitcairn at Lexington, April 19th 1775

Feedback Score
    There are a few folks in the reloading community who swear the nickel will "flake off" and scratch your dies. Or the nickel plating itself just being harder will scratch dies.
    This is news to me...

I've done 1,000s of these (40 S&W), and I've never had a problem. I've never seen the nickel flake off, either.

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    The only down side to nickle cases I have encountered is that they will split long before plain brass.

Feedback Score
    Wolf.....a lot of the newer wolf out there is coming in boxer primed, but it is steel cased. I did reload a dozen wolf .45 steel case for the hell of it. They all resized ok no worse than any brass ammo. All worked and cycled fine.
    Is this just pistol ammo or is it rifle too?

Feedback Score
    Far as I know from various forums boxer primed wolf is showing up in rifle ammo also. Personally I wouldn't reload a steel rifle case.

If it needs to be trimmed do I want to use my good steel case trimmers on a steel case? No.

I could see some trouble full length resizing steel, especially setting back the shoulder.

It might work in a pinch, but I have plenty of brass on hand. I was just messing around with the .45's to see how it worked. I didn't see any trouble with straight wall pistol cases, but steel bottle necks give me the heebie-jeebies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast