Thread: Colt 6920 buffer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Colt 6920 buffer

I purchased a new Colt 6920 and I would like to get some spare parts. I have read the technical threads, but am curious as to whether the H buffer is the ideal buffer or if the H2 or H3 would be even better? It seems some people prefer the H2 or H3 buffers. I have also read about Crane O rings and extractor springs, would you pick up something other than what comes in the Colt or just get stock replacements? So would it be wise to get stronger extractor springs and spring buffers and stronger recoil springs and heavier buffers as spares?
    Last edited by seang; 04-10-10 at 02:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    do buffers actually break? I think the main parts you should be concerned for spares are the bolts and extractors. Most people get H2/H3 to slow the extraction of carbine gas systems and reduce recoil impulse, increases the reliability of carbine systems in many cases.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Gun is fine the way it is. More than that it's the benchmark by which all others are judged. Don't second guess a 6920, go shoot it.

Feedback Score
    I plan on shooting it the way it is,but would like to know which spare parts would be best? From what I have read people have their favorite spare parts such as Crane O'ring, but is there a certain type of extractor or extractor spring people prefer over stock and where do you get them? The only thing I may change is the buffer to an H2. I couldn't find anything other than pictures on the H2 vs H3 and which might be preferred and for what reasons. I typically shoot 55 grain.
    Last edited by seang; 04-10-10 at 20:05.

Feedback Score
    Found the information.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
    do buffers actually break? I think the main parts you should be concerned for spares are the bolts and extractors. Most people get H2/H3 to slow the extraction of carbine gas systems and reduce recoil impulse, increases the reliability of carbine systems in many cases.
    Buffers usually don't break but sometimes the face of them does get scratched up from a burr and/or rough finish on the back of the bolt carrier. Also sometimes the roll pin holding the plug on the end will walk out and drag across the buffer spring and can cause cycling problems.
    On my personally owned buffers I tap out the pin and shorten it about 3/16" and then reinstall it with a dab of Acraglas and then center it up and stake the end of the tube so that the pin couldn't slide back out.

H is fine on a Colt 6920 unless you're shooting a lot with a suppressor. H2 will work also but no real need.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 04-11-10 at 07:17.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)