Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 70

Thread: Improving accuracy on Glock 19

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    Feedback Score
    0

    Improving accuracy on Glock 19

    I am looking for items to improve the accuracy on the Glock 19. Before we begin let me give a disclaimer....

    - I know that Glocks are designed for "combat accuracy" vs match
    - I know more rounds and practice is the best way to imporve accuracy
    - I am a great shot with a lot of other rifles and handguns as well as this one

    What I am asking is how can i make it even better? I shoot well the the G19, but I want to make it as accurate as possible. I have read about a match grade slide lock that is supposed to help out alot and I am planing on buying one. I also am considering a SS match barrel. Is there anything else I should research to make this gun better?

    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Sgt/USMC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,915
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If I was looking to make my G19 (or any of my other Glocks) more accurate this is what I would do:

    - Replace the barrel with either a Lone Wolf, Storm Lake or KKM barrel. I've gotten slightly better accuracy out of my Lone Wolf barrels over the OEM ones. I mentioned this to The Katar and after purchasing a Lone Wolf barrel he noted slightly better accuracy as well.

    - Replace the connector with either a #4.5 OEM or Lone Wolf one.

    - Replace the sights with some good sights like Heinie's or Warrens.

    That's about all I would do but I can't outshoot a stock Glock yet so there isn't any need for me to spend a ton of money or time since I'm not going to gain anything from it.
    Guns, Motorcycles and Women

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc View Post
    If I was looking to make my G19 (or any of my other Glocks) more accurate this is what I would do:

    - Replace the barrel with either a Lone Wolf, Storm Lake or KKM barrel. I've gotten slightly better accuracy out of my Lone Wolf barrels over the OEM ones. I mentioned this to The Katar and after purchasing a Lone Wolf barrel he noted slightly better accuracy as well.

    - Replace the connector with either a #4.5 OEM or Lone Wolf one.

    - Replace the sights with some good sights like Heinie's or Warrens.

    That's about all I would do but I can't outshoot a stock Glock yet so there isn't any need for me to spend a ton of money or time since I'm not going to gain anything from it.
    How much difference did you notice out of the lone wolf barrel?

    Also, can you direct me to a link for the lone wolf or 4.5 connecter?

    Thanks
    Last edited by Jeff5886; 04-10-10 at 15:49.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,915
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff5886 View Post
    How much difference did you notice out of the lone wolf barrel?
    I don't know dude...better is the only way I can describe it. I don't shoot for 1" or 1/2" groups or anything like that so I don't know how to measure it.
    Guns, Motorcycles and Women

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    596
    Feedback Score
    0
    Here's a link to a pretty thorough article on modifying a Glock. Some of these changes are purported to increase accuracy.

    http://www.realguns.com/archives/145.htm (there's a part II link at the bottom of that link as well)

    Some also say that the TR Graham Glock Slide Lock also improves and makes lock up more consistent with the result being a significant accuracy improvement, but I have no experience with this part.
    Formerly known as "Son of Vlad Tepes"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,248
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Disagree on changing out the stock barrel. The hexagonal (or octagonal on .45's) rifling was designed for the inconsistency in bullet shapes and diameters by manufacturers in Europe. If a particular bullet was out of spec, it was in spec once the barrel reformed it before it exited. It's an urban myth that KKM, Lone Wolf, etc. barrels are more accurate. Federal Ammunition uses only Glock barrels to test their handgun ammo. Too many times Glock owners change out the barrel AND trigger then claim more accuracy. Installing a lighter trigger makes it easier for the shooter to follow thru on the trigger pull resulting in a better grouping. My Glocks will produce 3/4" groups at 25 yards all day from a sandbag. OK...here come the arrows...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    Disagree on changing out the stock barrel. The hexagonal (or octagonal on .45's) rifling was designed for the inconsistency in bullet shapes and diameters by manufacturers in Europe. If a particular bullet was out of spec, it was in spec once the barrel reformed it before it exited. It's an urban myth that KKM, Lone Wolf, etc. barrels are more accurate. Federal Ammunition uses only Glock barrels to test their handgun ammo. Too many times Glock owners change out the barrel AND trigger then claim more accuracy. Installing a lighter trigger makes it easier for the shooter to follow thru on the trigger pull resulting in a better grouping. My Glocks will produce 3/4" groups at 25 yards all day from a sandbag. OK...here come the arrows...
    I picken up what your puttin down; what trigger do you recommend?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,349
    Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    BAR-STO
    GLOCK WORX
    Last edited by VooDoo6Actual; 04-10-10 at 17:07.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Vlad Tepes View Post
    Here's a link to a pretty thorough article on modifying a Glock. Some of these changes are purported to increase accuracy.

    http://www.realguns.com/archives/145.htm (there's a part II link at the bottom of that link as well)

    Some also say that the TR Graham Glock Slide Lock also improves and makes lock up more consistent with the result being a significant accuracy improvement, but I have no experience with this part.
    Thanks for the link!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,248
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff5886 View Post
    I picken up what your puttin down; what trigger do you recommend?
    So many times shooter want to replace everything (i.e. connector, trigger spring, changing out the trigger housing for one with an overtravel stop, etc.).

    First of all, is this pistol going to be carried for self defense? If so, the most I would recommend is to change the 5# connector to the current 4.5# (used to be called the 3.5# connector until several engineers got into a peeing contest over metric vs. English conversions). This will result in a smoother trigger release. Try this first and work on your trigger technique (i.e. pulling the trigger back in a straight line and maintaining the sights for follow thru).

    If the pistol is for competition only, besides the connector, the striker spring can be replaced with a Wolfe reduced power striker spring which will lower the trigger pull considerably. Beware if you reload and use hard primers such as CCI however. Usually this combination (with practice) results in a good trigger setup. My double taps with a stock connector average .18 to .19 seconds. With a 4.5# connector and reduced striker spring, the time goes down to .15 to .17 seconds. Keep in mind, that fast doubletaps are not an indication of accuracy, just fast synapse to brain activity.

    There are a multitude of competition only trigger parts on the market today and you can spend several hundred dollars on a Glock trigger. No need to do all that, with a lot of practice, the results will be the same! Good luck!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •