Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Improving accuracy on Glock 19

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've had good results with the ghost rocket connectors. They reduce the overtravel to a minimum
    with no moving parts or screws, and come in different pull weights. Started with 4 lb and ended up
    With 5lb; smooth and crisp, light enough for carry and matches. Do have jarvis barrel, but no more accurate than factory, but Allows lead with no fear.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a G-19 with gunsmith-installed Briley barrel comissioned by first owner. While it shoots a bit better than OEM I am unconvinced of added value. Ironically a single best group I shot from this pistol was from OEM barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Vlad Tepes View Post
    Here's a link to a pretty thorough article on modifying a Glock. Some of these changes are purported to increase accuracy.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/145.htm (there's a part II link at the bottom of that link as well)

Some also say that the TR Graham Glock Slide Lock also improves and makes lock up more consistent with the result being a significant accuracy improvement, but I have no experience with this part.
    I disagreed with pretty much everything he says about Glocks and most of the modifications he suggests are not needed. Replacing parts like this is also not good for reliability. To the OP it's your money but very few people can outshoot any modern pistols inherent accuracy. I really wouldn't waste the time or money. As far as triggers go I used to lighten them but stock has been fine for me for awhile.
    Last edited by HK45; 04-10-10 at 22:26.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HK45 View Post
    I disagreed with pretty much everything he says about Glocks and most of the modifications he suggests are not needed. Replacing parts like this is also not good for reliability. To the OP it's your money but very few people can outshoot any modern pistols inherent accuracy. I really wouldn't waste the time or money. As far as triggers go I used to lighten them but stock has been fine for me for awhile.
    I agree, but the OP wanted to explore the road of mods that may make the pistol more accurate, and that article does a very good job at describing commonly done mods in very good detail.

Are they needed? For a range/gaming gun I think that's for each individual to decide. One can make a very strong argument that they are not needed, as even Dave Sevigny only uses a "-" connector and a $.25 trigger job and doesn't dick around with steel guide rods or aftermarket barrels, or any other mods. But if someone wants to tinker with their gun, that article is a decent primer.

I certainly agree that for a self defense pistol I would absolutely keep it stock to retain its inherent reliability (although I personally have gone to the NY-1/"-" trigger set up, which, if nothing else, only increases the reliability of the gun).
    Formerly known as "Son of Vlad Tepes"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Vlad Tepes View Post
    I certainly agree that for a self defense pistol I would absolutely keep it stock to retain its inherent reliability (although I personally have gone to the NY-1/"-" trigger set up, which, if nothing else, only increases the reliability of the gun).
    I can see why people like that trigger setup even though it does little for me but it isn't any more reliable than the stock trigger. The standard trigger spring used to be a little more fragile than the NY 1 but that was fixed some time ago.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    i found a number of references to glocks in ransom rests keeping a group well inside 2" at 25 yards.
    probably your best bet for accuracy would be reloading yourself some quality ammo that's tuned to your gun.
    or do like me and reload the cheapest ammo you can and shoot the crap out of it (probably more benefit there)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff5886 View Post
    - I know more rounds and practice is the best way to imporve accuracy
    So far in my life I have never missed a shot that I've fired because the gun was incapable of making the hit required.

What I've learned over the years by spending ungodly sums of money on a bunch of different guns and ungodly sums of money on ammo is that the best way to improve accuracy is to improve my shooting skills. There is absolutely no greater return on investment to be found in the shooting world than working on fundamental skills under the supervision of a competent instructor and then practicing what you've been taught.

- I am a great shot with a lot of other rifles and handguns as well as this one
    I say this with all due respect and with every intention of helping you achieve your goals:

How do you know you are a "great shot"? What standard drills can you give us to quantify what "great" actually means? I often find that a lot of people use a very lopsided metric to define their skillset. If you're a competitive bullseye shooter involved in formal competitions and you perform well, you probably are a very good shot. If that kind of thing is what you are looking to accomplish, a Glock is the wrong gun for the task.

If you are a master-class IDPA shooter and you're looking to shrink the margin of error on your Glock, etc...then gear changes might make sense.

If you aren't at that level, odds are there is no mechanical improvement that will come anywhere close to the benefits of good training. It is especially inadvisable, in my opinion, to take what is generally a fundamentally good handgun like a G19 and start modifying it with a bunch of aftermarket parts if you intend to carry the gun as a defensive tool. Aftermarket parts often compromise the reliability of the weapon.

As for the options you mentioned, my question would be this: What makes them "match grade"? What metric does the manufacturer use to measure whether or not the item is "match grade" or some other grade? What does "match grade" even mean?

I see the term "match grade" thrown around almost as much as "milspec" but I'm convinced that few of the manufacturers labeling things "match grade" are using it as anything other than a buzz-word to sell products.

Feedback Score
    Great post JW. Couldn't agree more.

Feedback Score
    There are handgun parts, on my Glock 17, that are worthwhile upgrades, that helped out my groupings, that are marketed as being ''Match Grade'' shouldn't really be called ''Match Grade''

Match Grade Slide Lock - Great addition, 3000 rounds without a hiccup.

I wouldn't put it on a match grade pistol though.

A Glock is a combat pistol, not a match gun. We have 1911s for that.
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 04-12-10 at 15:07.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score

accuracy improvements

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff5886 View Post
    I am looking for items to improve the accuracy on the Glock 19. Before we begin let me give a disclaimer....

- I know that Glocks are designed for "combat accuracy" vs match
    - I know more rounds and practice is the best way to imporve accuracy
    - I am a great shot with a lot of other rifles and handguns as well as this one

What I am asking is how can i make it even better? I shoot well the the G19, but I want to make it as accurate as possible. I have read about a match grade slide lock that is supposed to help out alot and I am planing on buying one. I also am considering a SS match barrel. Is there anything else I should research to make this gun better?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Sgt/USMC
    this probably something you don't want to read, but I think proper hand load development will gain better accuracy than any mechanical additions.
    fwiw,
    Mark
    the will to win is nothing without the will to prepare.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast