Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Improving accuracy on Glock 19

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by azidpa View Post
    this probably something you don't want to read, but I think proper hand load development will gain better accuracy than any mechanical additions.
    I spoke with an instructor type a while back about replacing my barrel to pick up a bit of accuracy. He advised that the stock barrel is ok, but most of us shoot ammo that is less than ideal (how good is that bulk WWB from Wally World?). By switching to a higher quality ammunition or working up a good practice load, you'll find the gun is much more accurate than you might think.

I'm not saying my G19 turns into a laser when I shoot Gold Dots, but I do notice an improvement over bulk 9mm.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There are two areas where the Glock barrel can be improved upon if accuracy is the major concern.

The Glock barrel lockup is loose and the chamber is loose.

I had Barsto fit one of their barrels to one of my Glock 23s. With that barrel and an Optima dot sight the gun could put ten rounds of 180gr ammo into a 1.5" hole at 25yds off a rest.

I had Barsto fit one of their barrels to one of my Glock 17s. That gun could put ten rounds into 1.5" using iron sights at 25yds off a rest. This was a few years ago when my eyesight was better.

The Barsto barrels improved my off the rest groups by about an inch at 25yds due I think to tighter lock up and chambers.

In a 1911 most of the accuracy comes from tighter more consistent lock up with a quality barrel. Slide to frame fit is only a small contributor unless you are using a Ransom rest for testing.

A good trigger is necessary for most of us to get the accuracy out of the gun.

Feedback Score
    Here is a fitting quote for this subject.

"Do not be preoccupied with inconsequential increments." --LtCol Jeff Cooper USMC

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    To increase the inherent accuracy of your G19 for target shooting , you can get a high quality match grade barrel fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. To get better practical accuracy from your G19 when it will be used to defend your life for real, stick with the factory G19 barrel, but try different weight bullets, 115,124,127,147gr. to see which is the most accurate and also make sure your shooting fundamentals are correct and then practice, practice, practice.
    Last edited by Biggy; 04-13-10 at 18:39.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Lots of interesting recommendations in here, many not addressing the need of practice and most trying to solve software problems with hardware solutions. JW777 nailed it. For those fo you blathering on about triggers and custom barrels, you should see what Failure To Stop can do with a stock Glock 19. Scary.....

Feedback Score
    I believe that John Wayne 777, DocGKR and decodeddiesel have most succinctly summed it up. Get a case of decent 9mm, participate in competition, obtain some training from a quality instructor, and practice (both dry-and live-fire).

About the only constructive thing I'd have to add would be to replace the OEM polymer sights with some steel ones, for durability.

In the case of the G19, developing software skills trumps any likely gains to be had from hardware replacements.

Best, Jon

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    In the case of the G19, developing software skills trumps any likely gains to be had from hardware replacements.
    In other words, try tightening up the nut behind the trigger.

"So far in my life I have never missed a shot that I've fired because the gun was incapable of making the hit required." JW, that's sig line material.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    Yep!

Best, Jon

Feedback Score
    I have every Glock in 9mm and the best and only mod I do is heinie sights. its a huge improvement that i can't recommend enough.

kevin

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff5886 View Post
    I am looking for items to improve the accuracy on the Glock 19. Before we begin let me give a disclaimer....

What I am asking is how can i make it even better? I shoot well the the G19, but I want to make it as accurate as possible. I have read about a match grade slide lock that is supposed to help out alot and I am planing on buying one. I also am considering a SS match barrel. Is there anything else I should research to make this gun better?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Sgt/USMC
    Hey Sgt Jeff,
    If you are so inclined to explore max inherent accuracy, have at it. IMO, the common feedback that unless you can outshoot your stock inherent accuracy, the excercise is pointless - is actually mistaken.

As marksmanship instructors explain it, no matter how well you can hold, your shots will land in a cone. The cone of the movement of the end of your barrel as you fire. Both your ammo and the inherent accuracy of your pistol will also be factors. Your cone of movement might be good enough to generate a 4" group at 25 yds if you were firing a laser beam. If your pistol however has fitting issues, lockups issues, a bad barrel etc, it might have an inherent 6" cone all by it's lonesome self. And if your shooting WWB it might have a 5" cone of capability.

So as your barrel movement swings around creating your cone, the inherent accuracy of your pistol's cone and ammo's cone will impact the groups on paper. And likely as not, that gun cone and ammo cone will not synch up nicely with your barrel movement cone while firing and you'll see groups larger than what you should be able to shoot with a laser.

So you'll very likely see an improvement in groups when you accurize any given pistol. Even if you haven't yet perfected your performance with your stock gun.
    This happens all the time. Even if your not a master class shooter.

Now I carry a stock 19 and for this purpose I'm fine with stock accuracy - although I like almost everyone here will upgrade their sights. (to improve accuracy btw But this isn't exactly a platform for bullseye competition. The trigger work is still number one.

But I find accurate handguns very interesting and fun. This is the only reason I still have one 1911, a superbly accurate TRP.

Good luck. Don't compromise reliability.
    Last edited by JHC; 04-14-10 at 19:52.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast