Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBR Optics - What would you do?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

SBR Optics - What would you do?

I'm trying to decide what to put on a 10.5 inch 556 for optics. I willhave Troy flipup sights also.

I want to be able to hit coyote's (if they present themselves) out to 200+/-. I'd also like to be able to do some bench rest shooting at 100 yards and try to get some little groups. I'd also like to use it for home defense, but from what I have read... it might be best to go with just open sights for that. Honestly... most of my shooting will be for fun and plinking at rocks, pop cans, etc etc.... although I would like to take a carbine class some day too.

So.. my thoughts turn to the following options.... Leupold MR/T 1.5-5, Acog
    TA33, Aimpoint M3L.

Would the Acog let me get as tight groups as the leupold? I am kinda guessing "NO".... but dang... I like the idea of an Acog.

So..... spit out your thoughts and help me decide!!

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a 2x mini-ACOG on my 16" so I have a 1.5x Mini-ACOG on my SBR.

You should be able to make good hits at 200 with irons, so having any amount of magnification fo shooting at 200 yards and in is not required.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A 2MOA Aimpoint would work well as would the MR/T in a LaRue mount or as RobS recommended the mini ACOGs, really for those distances it's all just personal choice, they'll all get it done easily.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    i am leaning towards a eotech 552

Feedback Score
    I get hits out to 200 with an EOTech on my 10.5".

Feedback Score
    I think most people will reccomend an Eotech or ACOG for close range action. As I understand it the military uses both. I ended up with an EoTech. It is not bad.

Additionally, I have a Leupold 4x Scout scope on one rifle. I like it, and for that rifle, I wouldn't want anything else.

Additionally, I have a monster mil-dot (sorry don't remember brand or power, but it is up there) on an other rifle. I would not reccomend this for close fast action.

As far as tight groups, I get tighter groups with optics with the more magnafication the better up until 24x. At 24x I could see my heart beat and it tended to open up the group just a little. And although, this is great for the range, but would suck in the field. For my hunting rifles I usually get a 3x or a 4x variable up to 12x. I then leave it on the lowest setting (3x or 4x) while moving.

Feedback Score
    This has got to be some kind of necrobump record.....

That being said, I think your Aimpoint H2 idea is absolutely winning for an SBR. Post pics when you get it done.

Feedback Score
    Trijicon MRO is on my BCM 9" .300blk. Aimpoint T-1 on my LMT 10.5 upper. I like them both.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC View Post
    This has got to be some kind of necrobump record.....
    Yessir, 10 years plus.

Quote Originally Posted by MattC View Post
    That being said, I think your Aimpoint H2 idea is absolutely winning for an SBR. Post pics when you get it done.
    Yes, great optic for an SBR>

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I run a compact ACOG 1.5x16 on my 5.56 SBR. It's on a high mount and is as fast basically as an Aimpoint for me while being as light as a micro. I don't discount the light weight. It's very important to me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast