Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SBR Optics - What would you do?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

SBR Optics - What would you do?

I'm trying to decide what to put on a 10.5 inch 556 for optics. I willhave Troy flipup sights also.

I want to be able to hit coyote's (if they present themselves) out to 200+/-. I'd also like to be able to do some bench rest shooting at 100 yards and try to get some little groups. I'd also like to use it for home defense, but from what I have read... it might be best to go with just open sights for that. Honestly... most of my shooting will be for fun and plinking at rocks, pop cans, etc etc.... although I would like to take a carbine class some day too.

So.. my thoughts turn to the following options.... Leupold MR/T 1.5-5, Acog
    TA33, Aimpoint M3L.

Would the Acog let me get as tight groups as the leupold? I am kinda guessing "NO".... but dang... I like the idea of an Acog.

So..... spit out your thoughts and help me decide!!

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a 2x mini-ACOG on my 16" so I have a 1.5x Mini-ACOG on my SBR.

You should be able to make good hits at 200 with irons, so having any amount of magnification fo shooting at 200 yards and in is not required.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A 2MOA Aimpoint would work well as would the MR/T in a LaRue mount or as RobS recommended the mini ACOGs, really for those distances it's all just personal choice, they'll all get it done easily.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    i am leaning towards a eotech 552

Feedback Score
    I get hits out to 200 with an EOTech on my 10.5".

Feedback Score
    I think most people will reccomend an Eotech or ACOG for close range action. As I understand it the military uses both. I ended up with an EoTech. It is not bad.

Additionally, I have a Leupold 4x Scout scope on one rifle. I like it, and for that rifle, I wouldn't want anything else.

Additionally, I have a monster mil-dot (sorry don't remember brand or power, but it is up there) on an other rifle. I would not reccomend this for close fast action.

As far as tight groups, I get tighter groups with optics with the more magnafication the better up until 24x. At 24x I could see my heart beat and it tended to open up the group just a little. And although, this is great for the range, but would suck in the field. For my hunting rifles I usually get a 3x or a 4x variable up to 12x. I then leave it on the lowest setting (3x or 4x) while moving.

Feedback Score
    I use Aimpoint on my 10.5". I'm in the process of aquiring the 3X Magnifier but I think I'm going to mount in behind the Eotech on the 16" upper.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you don't want to shell out for an S&B Short Dot, an Aimpoint M3/ML3 2 moa with the magnifier would probably suit you. You could put the magnifier on for coyotes or targets, and take it off for defensive use or classes etc.

The Leupold MR/T, ACOG seems overkill for a 10.5" barrel... and neither is going to be anywhere near as fast as an Aimpoint or Short Dot for CQB.

EOTech... I've tried to like them, but I just can't do it. I've owned 2of them and decided there are just are too many things not to like.

Feedback Score
    I'm very happy with my EOTech 512 on my 11.5" SBR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ashooter View Post
    an Aimpoint M3/ML3 2 moa with the magnifier would probably suit you.
    I've been very pleased with that exact setup. Magnifier usually stays in the utility pouch, I use the same LT mount as the Aimpoint 2MOA M3, and you can leave the throw lever a little less tight making it easy to put on and off quickly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast