Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Calibers fit in an AR-15 lower?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    AR-15 using a simple blowback operation

I don't know squat about the following: I have read that blowback systems using relatively heavy loads (e.g., 45 ACP, 9mm) will shorten the life of either a lower, upper, or both.

True?
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    As for all of those, which would be the best for hunting mule deer and quite possibly elk? Any, which ones?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotsauce View Post
    As for all of those, which would be the best for hunting mule deer and quite possibly elk? Any, which ones?
    6.8SPC would be good for mule and could work for Elk as well.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotsauce View Post

This is the classic problem which I have struggled with for some time. The 6.8 spc will work for mulies out to 300 yards, but it is light for the task. The 6.5 Grendel does a bit better job, but is still lacking power for the long shots. The 7.62 x 39 likewise will take deer out to 300 yards, but is anemic for elk.

Sadly, the only rounds there which I personally would consider adequate for elk are the 458 Socom and the 50 Beowulf, but those are not long range cartridges. A pretty good elk rig would be an AR10 in .338 Federal. A good longer range deer rig would be an AR10 in 6.5 creedmoor. But I prefer the smaller dimensions of the AR-15, so it puts me in a quandry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12