Thread: Building a lightweight middy

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Building a lightweight middy

I have a RRA middy upper HBAR SS 1:8 Wylde, flat top with A2 FS.
    local custom guy johnsontactical.com is going to reprofile that heavy bbl for me.
    Keeping the FSB
    Im going to take off the heavy half-quad tube I got on it now and want to FF, light, and be able to resist heat.

So, Im thinking carbon fiber.

who makes good ones? suggestions on source and price ?

upper now, the lower is gone, prob going to need to assemble a new one for it.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I prefer the Troy 11" Extreme XTR Battlerail for my lightweight upper assembly.
    The 11" will cover the midlength gas block and then some. You can get by with the 9" rail. The Extreme XTR Battlerail is very light.

There are other lightweight rails, such as the Daniel Defense Lite rail, although the Troy is even lighter. As for heat, I ran this upper through a class three weeks ago and never notice any heat, I was not wearing any gloves.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    thanks for the input, and that rail looks very nice.

I should have mentioned in my OP that this doesnt need anything mounted, and so no rails would be my preference.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The Troy only has the picatinny rail on top. There are other free float handguards without any rail at all. I'm sure you'll be happy with them.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I prefer the Troy 11" Extreme XTR Battlerail for my lightweight upper assembly.
    The 11" will cover the midlength gas block and then some. You can get by with the 9" rail. The Extreme XTR Battlerail is very light.

There are other lightweight rails, such as the Daniel Defense Lite rail, although the Troy is even lighter. As for heat, I ran this upper through a class three weeks ago and never notice any heat, I was not wearing any gloves.

Shawn, I think Sam makes a great recommendation. Another buddy just went with the 11" Troy and loves it. They are very light and have a great profile.

Feedback Score
    The Troy handguard would require him to shave down the FSB. He might want the FS part of the FSB, so a different handguard would be needed if he wants to go past the handguard. For those of us with long arms it's kinda mandatory... That being said, I fully expect to have the 11" or 13" VTAC version of those Troy handguards in the near future.

Shawn, consider Hiperform if you do go the carbon fiber route. He's got no problem answering questions via phone, but email might take a bit. The folks I know who have his handguards like 'em.

-B
    Last edited by BAC; 04-15-10 at 10:55.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I really like the DD Lite rail I just got, but for a single rail forearm, the Midwest SS series is quite nice, and light. Haven't handled the new Battlerails yet, but the Troy MRF I had left a bad taste in my mouth.

-matt