Thread: 1-10" twist .308 ammo selection

Feedback Score

1-10" twist .308 ammo selection

I was wondering what loads a 1-10" twist works best with. I was hoping to run 168gr. rounds, but I'm wondering if they will stabilize well in the fast twist barrel.

I had originally requested a 1-11.25" twist, but broughton shipped a 1-10" blank and I'm debating sending it back.

Thanks,
    Fletcher
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score
    Subsonic or supersonic?

Feedback Score
    I want to shoot supersonic, but the 1-10" mishap would allow me to shoot both.

I was just curious as to what loads the faster twist would make unusable. If it's only the really light loads, then no big deal.
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score
    This is my limited knowledge.

For subsonic, I am beign told to use a 1-8 or faster.

So , for my 300 Whisper project I found a 1-7.5. I want to shoot 240gr subsonic and lighter bullets like 150gr and 125gr super sonic. I think this is possible.

As I understand it, most hunting 308 rifles are 1-10. If I shoot a subsonic in a 1-10 it will not stabalize.

What I haven't been able to find out is, what happens when I over spin a bullet. If I over spin a varmit bullet it may come apart, but what happens if the bullet is a solid construction (i.e. FMJ).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bullet stabilization isn't purely a function of weight and twist.
    Barrel length, bullet weight, bullet bearing surface and other factors can be just as important.

What are you trying to accomplish? 1K shooting? Paper?

When not shooting suppressed, I generally perfer the 175 SMK over the 168 SMK
    because it offers a better BC & stays supersonic at 1K (which the 168's don't do in my AO)

1:10 is my preferred .308 twist. It allows me to shoot a wide range of bullets from a 155g Scenar to a 190 SMK. Should you decide to add a suppressor, you're even better off since faster twists are often more desirable for subsonic loads (specifically thinking about the 190 SMK).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW, my Savage 110FP (in .308) has a 1:10 twist barrel and likes the 175-grain SMK (IE: Federal Gold Match).
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    My suppressed Rem 700P shoots Black Hills 175gr Sierra goes a little over 1/2 MOA and is 1-10" twist. 168gr Black Hills goes about 3/4 MOA.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)