Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which .223 dies... specifically for semi-auto

Feedback Score
    I use a RCBS Small Base die for .223. Measuring above the web and again a little higher my resized brass is a good .002" larger than my factory TAP and about the same (within .000 to +/-.0005") as factory IMI M193. Sample of one and all that, but it does not appear to undersize the brass - especially if used in an AR.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the feedback I appreciate it.

How many of you are using neck tension only to hold the bullets in place and how many are using a crimp?

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chmd View Post

How many of you are using neck tension only to hold the bullets in place and how many are using a crimp?

Thanks again.

i quit using a crimp. unnecessary in a light-recoiling weapon like the AR15. if you're making a stash of SHTF ammo that might get carted around for a long period of time in magazines a crimp may be worthwhile, but for training ammo it's a waste of time. IMHO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chmd View Post

Thanks again.
    For my 55g plinkin loads I just use neck tension. For any other load I use a very light crimp.

Feedback Score
    I use neck tension only for all my AR reloads. Crimp or not to crimp is a personal choice and controversial. You would not think it would be but it is.

Feedback Score
    I have been having good luck with Lee dies. Decent all around dies, especially if you are on a budget. The finish on Lee dies seems a little rougher than most so the one thing I do to Lee dies when I buy them is to polish them with Flitz metal polish.

Take the resizing die apart, I take a chamber mop (with Flitz) and chuck it up in a drill and polish the insides of the die. It makes a world of difference as far as the effort needed to resize.

Personally, I have a mix, some Lee, a few RCBS, Lyman and Hornady dies.

Lyman and Hornady dies are very smooth, finish is top notch. If money is no issue go with them, but I am also a big fan of the Lee factory crimp die, I have added FCD dies to most of my die sets.
    "Disperse you rebels!, Damn You! Throw down your arms and Disperse!"....British Major Pitcairn at Lexington, April 19th 1775

Feedback Score
    Wish I could find measurements I took a few years ago of about 5 different .223 dies. 3 regular and 2 small base dies.

I measured neck diameter, headspace at camover, body diameter right below the shoulder and body diameter right above the pressure ring.

IIRC, the dies were Lee, Lyman and RCBS standard dies and Redding and RCBS small base dies. The conclusion was that all the dies were pretty much identical within a thou or maybe 2 and the small base dies were not overall any smaller than any of the standard dies.

I was having problems with a competition chamber being tight. I solved it not by going to a small base die (because they really weren't any smaller), but by running a known-good reamer into the chamber.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    but I am also a big fan of the Lee factory crimp die, I have added FCD dies to most of my die sets.
    I like mine quite a bit. I put a very, very light crimp on everything but my 55gr FMJ ammo, which gets more crimp - and that shoots great. With a Dillon it's not like it's extra work or anything.
    Last edited by boltcatch; 05-08-10 at 17:58.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm having a problem with my Lee Resizing die for .223. It isn't giving me a full neck re-size, causing my weapon not to close the bolt completely. The forward assist doesn't aide in the full closure. Once I have a misfire, I try to rack the round out of the chamber, but it takes Charles Atlas to pull the charging handle. I have to Take to weapon apart, manually cock the hammer, then reassemble and fire the jammed round.

My caliber is showing me that towards the bottom of the neck, it is a few hundredths or thousandths off while the top of the neck is re-sized correctly.

I've been running this through a Dillion 650 (The Big One) until I have noticed that the casing wasn't fully closing in the die. So I put the die and a casing through my rock-chucker, and it will not ascend the casing any further than 1/8th an inch that is required to complete a full re-size. It took a blow torch and a lot of blaspheme to pull the .223 case out. This was after using a lot of case lube prior to the incident. And after the case holder ripped the rim off.

I'm realizing that I'm going to have to get a new resizing die, but just to be safe, is there something I am doing wrong?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Anybody had any luck with the RCBS X-Die? Not having to trim sounds awful nice...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast