Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Which .223 dies... specifically for semi-auto

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have used standard RCBS FL dies for several thousand rounds. No issues. I have fired my ammo through 223, 5.56, and 223 Wylde chambers with no problems.

However, I will say that the seater is not the best design - a seating die with a floating collar like Hornady is superior IMO, particularly if you are seating flat base bullets that are less tolerant of misalignment. I mainly shoot BT bullets, and put a good chamfer on each case, so that has not been a big issue for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    Anybody had any luck with the RCBS X-Die? Not having to trim sounds awful nice...
    Its a mandrel based die and as such is subject to its own unique quirks of operation with respect to easy functioning and trying to load match quality ammo.

The fact that the instructions mandate an initial trim under SAAMI spec should be your first clue...

I found out long ago that it is faster to just trim cases to a known length then attempt to measure and sort them based on length and which ones need trimming.

Feedback Score
    I purchased the Redding 223 competition die set...cost a couple hundred for the 3 die set. I'm wondering if I should have just purchased the Dillon 223 carbide dies and gotten the Redding competition die set for the 300WSM?

I guess that with the Redding dies in 223 I can chase the "perfect" load for the SR15. I don't have buyers remorse; just wondering if I went a little overboard?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Malig8r View Post
    I purchased the Redding 223 competition die set...cost a couple hundred for the 3 die set. I'm wondering if I should have just purchased the Dillon 223 carbide dies and gotten the Redding competition die set for the 300WSM?

I guess that with the Redding dies in 223 I can chase the "perfect" load for the SR15. I don't have buyers remorse; just wondering if I went a little overboard?
    If your intent was to "Ram and Jam" and hit a paper plate at 50 yards, then yes.You over bought. But to shoot the smallest groups possible, IMO you made the best choice for a standard press you could have made. I have owned this set for many years and it gives you extra control on things. ( Neck tension, neck tension depth, ease of changing OAL) and most of all a piece of mind in knowing that your loaded rounds are the best they can be. Dan.
    I'm a firm believer in "Truth" "Justice" and "The American Way". But, "The American Way" in which in I believe, is of "Days Past" probably before I was born. As this concept is always "evolving", I can't say I like where it is headed. Dan.

Feedback Score
    Nope, my intention when purchasing this die set was to get the best accuracy I could squeezed out of my weapon. I understand it's a battle rifle but my thought process is that if I can get the best groups at distance, the close engagements will fall into place with little to no effort.

I was just curious because many of the responses seemed to be quite content with dies that were less costly. Like I said in the previous post: no buyers remorse, just curious.

Thanks for the feedback.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345