Thread: Tried an AFG on my FAL this weekend

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Question Tried an AFG on my FAL this weekend

It did not work for me. Just didn't feel right and I could definitely feel the heat. Going to put a stubby VFG on there (Magpul) and considering a Magpul MOE rail section on the stock handguards to mount a light. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Do you think the issue would have been improved by a railed forearm? Or is the angle just "off" for the FAL. Is it a plastic handguard or metal?

DSA used to sell rail sections that might fit the FAL's handguard better than the MOE sections? I've not compared the two on a FAL.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I don't think that a railed forearm would have helped. It just didn't.....feel right. It seemed to make it harder to hold a mag's worth of ammo on a 3x5 card at 50 yards with my Trijicon 1.25-4x TR21 scope.

I am leaning hard towards using a modified "sword fighter's grip" on a stubby VFG.

Here's the weapon used sans the AFG. The VFG pictured is a cheap POS CAA that cracked. I haven't really measured it exactly but I believe it's an 18" barrel. Imbel receiver, Azex build. Very happy with the weapon. I practically stole it in a trade

Feedback Score
    I don't think that a railed forearm would have helped. It just didn't.....feel right. It seemed to make it harder to hold a mag's worth of ammo on a 3x5 card at 50 yards with my Trijicon 1.25-4x TR21 scope.
    Funny you mention that I got to try a16'' DSA fn-fal paratrooper folding stock with DSA railed forearm and the magpul AFG. I didn't get to shoot it that much just 10 shots 5 standing and 5 off the bench. It seemed to work OK like I said didn't get to try it much. The thing was I couldn't wrap my support thumb over the top rail. The FN-Fal sights are so low that my thumb would block the front sight post so I had to keep my support thumb between the top and side rail.

Forgot to mention the owner of that FAL is a new member here.
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 05-03-10 at 09:39.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post

I am leaning hard towards using a modified "sword fighter's grip" on a stubby VFG.

Here's the weapon used sans the AFG. The VFG pictured is a cheap POS CAA that cracked. I haven't really measured it exactly but I believe it's an 18" barrel. Imbel receiver, Azex build. Very happy with the weapon. I practically stole it in a trade

Derek does very nice work. Are you going to put a folder on it or keep it as is?

I wonder if there were a thinner rail section if that would improve your grip problem with the AFG which seems kind of enormous to me.

I was considering an AFG for my FAL but you've talked me out of it.
    Magpul might make a small killing by updating FAL accessories. I'm looking forward to the new, I think VLTOR, handguard. The DSA rail is a bit heavy.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    I'm looking forward to Vltor handguard too, FAL is heavy beast. I think I'm gonna have some issue running it, in a 3-gun match in June....