Thread: AR-15 Pistol Receiver Extension Options

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

AR-15 Pistol Receiver Extension Options

Can a rifle receiver extension be used on an AR-15 pistol legally? In other words, is there a legal length restriction on the receiver extension?

Also, would it be legal to use a standard carbine receiver extension as long as it wouldn't accept a stock by using something like shrink wrap over it to cover the stock notch holes? Or perhaps fill the holes with epoxy?

I apologize if this has been discussed here before but my searches here didn't turn up anything.

Feedback Score
    Yes you can use the A2 buffer tube (rear receiver extention) I might consider putting a very short screw locktighted in the hole and without an stock to index and hold the tube in place I am not sure as to how you would stake to tube. Additionally you would need to find a way to hold the spring and detent for the rear push pin in. The Carbine buffer tube is an easier choice but there is the "not able to accept a stock".
    You have a couple of good suggestions but in the end the the best solution is the deticated pistol buffer tube. They are oversized so that no stock can slide over the tube. They also accept the carbine plate and castle nut so they can be staked (like a carbine) and the spring and detent are taken care of. Just my $0.02.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good advice, thanks. So what are the best "pistol" buffer tubes out there these days? I want something well made and long enough to accept the standard carbine spring and buffer.

Also, I see pictures of pistol tubes with foam covers. Where are folks getting these covers?

Feedback Score
    get a tube from Spikes, and there buffer. They also sell the covers.
    Carolina Smoke and Guns
    Licensed Class 3 Firearms Dealer
    Consulting on NFA Items

Feedback Score
    RRA and Spikes are nice. I wanted a foam sleave cover so I went with the Spikes. There are a couple types out there that use an abreviated bolt and smaller spring setups to get a shorter package. There are some out that claim these work but there seem to be amny more that have problems with them. If you want a short setup then build the pistol in .22LR. I would just stay with the conventional buffer tube/buffer/spring set up (if there is any chance that this build could eventually be SBR'ed then I would definatly go with the conventional items).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Good advice, thanks. So what are the best "pistol" buffer tubes out there these days? I want something well made and long enough to accept the standard carbine spring and buffer.

Also, I see pictures of pistol tubes with foam covers. Where are folks getting these covers?

I use a Ace Ltd pistol tube kit on my AR pistol. http://riflestocks.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=187 They work well, have a sling attachment point ( left or right hand side ) And includes a foam tube cover. Uses a standard carbine spring and buffer.