Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
Thanks for the contact info, guys!

Will,

As far as other mass produced polymer pistol accuracy, I only have Glocks for a reference point, but I've watched, fired or supervised the firing of a couple of million rounds from that platform involving a few hundred examples since the late 1980s. Most were 9mm, the next most represented were .40 S&W and a very few .45 ACP guns were involved. Most of these pistols would shoot about 3-4" 25 yard groups from a prone or other solid rested position. I did find that the .40 pistols were the worst of the breed accuracy wise during all this time.

I have three 3rd Gen G17s and a single 3rd Gen G19 right now and all of them will stay inside of 3" at 25 yards off the bench. The M&P is simply terrible and I became suspicious of it right after I traded for it when I noted that it wasn't shooting to my shot "calls" during some LAV bullseye drills at 15 yards. My scores were also lower and when I bench tested it, I found out I have a turkey. I will have to do some thinking about spending lots of money on a new barrel and may send the gun to Smith and see if they'll offer any options that improve the situation.
Well that's useful info. I would agree for sure, send to S&W as their CS is second to none, and it may very well be you simply got one that is off spec. Normally, as you well know, accuracy complaints, usually = shooter error, but sounds to me like your experience level, you would know the difference. I bet S&W puts a new barrel in it, makes sure everything is spec, and sends back GTG. I would do that before you start dropping $$$ into it, unless you want to. By all accounts however, the Apex trigger improvement is worth it, and that long DAO mushy trigger sure as hell can't be helpful to groupings at distance, I'd add that at least.

I ordered it for the .40 compact I have, as the trigger is the only real complaint I have of the gun at this time.