Thread: The S&W M&P problem thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    Isn't it the other way around? I thought early guns had a solid pin that S&W replaced on the line, as the solid pins got mushroomed by ham-fisted armorers. I seem to recall a conversation about this subject at my armorers class, but that was a few years ago.
    No. I have current production M&P's (9mm and 40) and they have a solid pin. Current 45 M&P's have a coil pin.

Perhaps the roll pin was the replacement for the early solid pins, now they've gone back to solid pins as the newest thing?
    S&W says that they will eventually put coil roll pins in everything. For right now though, they are not.

For me the most vexing issue for the M&P has been striker breakage. When I get home, I'll post a pic of my first gen striker that went kablammo after many thousands of dry fires (and a few thousand live fires as well). I ASSume it's a first gen striker, because I ASSume I have a first gen gun. If someone has pics of all of the generations of strikers (I saw Gen 5 on grtactical.com today!) I'd love to see them. Especially if anyone knows if/how S&W has changed the manufacturing process for that particular part. AFAIK, it started out as a MIM component without any sort of coating, but a black finish. The newest pics I've seen are either coated with a glossier finish or are made of a different material.
    Look at you scopin out my website for M&P parts! Just for that, I am going post a pic of the new GEN 5 strikers. S&W says that these are good for 70,000 dry fires!

The other big issue I have with box-stock M&Ps is the weird bump I get when dry firing them. It takes significant effort with a new gun to hold the front sight steady. Admittedly my sample size is small (4 guns) but every one, including a NIB Pro, has a bump when the striker lets go. Not being the most savvy person in the world, I want to put it on overtravel, but I'm not 100% sure that's what's doing it. This has sorted itself out on my most used gun, so I'm fairly certain it's a gun thing and not a me thing.
    This is due to the trigger setup. Install an APEX sear and it is gone.

C4

GEN 5 Striker

Last edited by C4IGrant; 04-28-10 at 13:43.