Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&P 9C rear sight question

Feedback Score

M&P 9C rear sight question

Considering installing an XS Big Dot sight on a M&P 9C. My concern is the need for locktite on the rear sight.
    I have this sight on a couple firearms and the directions say to use the locktite product, so I assume the 9C will be the same.

If I use the locktite can it later be removed to replace the striker safety plunger or the safety plunger spring.

I suppose the next question should be "How often does the spring need replaced?"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Personally would not use loktite for a number of reasons, unless the sight was loose in the dovetail. As you mentioned, you might want to replace the spring, or more likely the plunger, with an Apex part. More likely,
    you might want to move the sight as point of impact might change with reloads or a new choice of factory ammo.
    Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    There are at least two kinds of Loctite: red and blue. I think the red is the more permanent, whereas the blue will hold the sight, but can be "broken."

You might want to Google Loctite and get the lowdown there.....

YMMV
    If we want to regain the respect of the world, we should begin by announcing that children have no business expressing opinions on anything except "Do you have enough room in the toes?" -Florence King

Feedback Score
    The replies are valuable. Thanks.

I may well us the blue locker variety. Might even consider a different brand of sight whose maker does not suggest or require loktite.
    I have never had a firearm that required the sight to be removed to service a spring.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    You do not want to use any kind of liquid loctite on the rear sight or screws on any M&P. You can compromise or lock up the safety plunger / striker. I would strongly suggest using something like vibra-tite where it is applied to the fasteners, let dry and then installed.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibra-TITE-Th...rds=vibra+tite

Feedback Score
    Yes, that is a very real concern. Thank you. I like the Big Dot, but not that much.

Feedback Score
    Red is permanent, blue is not.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just use a very tiny bit of blue.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the tips and suggestions.

Visited with XS and they say their sights need locker to stay put. Their set screw is smaller than most (I believe). Anyway, that is that and so must work around it or seek another sight.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fastgun View Post
    Thank you for the tips and suggestions.

Visited with XS and they say their sights need locker to stay put. Their set screw is smaller than most (I believe). Anyway, that is that and so must work around it or seek another sight.
    Did SX say their sights need locker in the dovetail area or just on the set screw?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast