Page 10 of 91 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: The S&W M&P problem thread

Feedback Score
    Me too. After the XD hate thread I thought that the MP was the cats ass. BTW I carry and shoot MPs

Feedback Score
    We are getting new pistols at work in a few months. We got in an M&P .40 and a gen4 Glock22 (both brand new) for test/evaluation and had each officer shoot a qual with both pistols and pick the one they liked.

About 40 officers shot the 30 round course of fire. All in all there were 11 malfunctions with the M&P, 0 with the Glock. We had FTF malfunctions and the pin that holds the backstrap on kept falling out. Range ammo is Speer 180 grn lawman TMJ. A LOT of people said they preferred how the M&P felt and shot (me included) but we could not get over the reliability.

I'm not sure if the problem was a bad apple or what but that was Smith & Wesson's chance and they blew it. I really have not heard anything bad about the pistol and was surprised to see this happening. We did not spend any time diagnosing problems as the guns were in our possession for a limited time. Needless to say, Glock won out. We will have a carload of gen4 Glock 22s coming our way in a month or so, along with new holsters and a TLR1 for every gun. I hope they work out...

ETA: The rep from Smith/Wesson also told us that the guns would have to be shipped back to the factory for some of the armoring such as replacing the extractor which was another thing that helped Glock win.
    Last edited by jhurt; 05-02-10 at 18:17.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhurt View Post
    We got in an M&P .40 and a gen4 Glock22 (both brand new) for test/evaluation and had each officer shoot a qual with both pistols and pick the one they liked.
    Just to clarify, you got in (1) of each gun?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Another "Why an M&P if they have fleas?" thread:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=51836

I think it addresses why, even given the problems some guns have.

The question I ask myself is, what gun does it better than an M&P? A Glock? The Gen 4s are what they are, and the Gen 3s are what prompted me to check out the M&P in the first place. An XD? An SR9? A Beretta? A Sig? An HK? We can all point to friends who have good or bad experiences with each. Everything has it's own flaws, it's own pluses and minuses. I tend to think the M&P is the gun that has the best balance, some folks go a different way. Thing is, they're not wrong and neither am I.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by javentre View Post
    Just to clarify, you got in (1) of each gun?

Yes, 1 Glock and 1 S&W, both in .40

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhurt View Post
    Yes, 1 Glock and 1 S&W, both in .40
    That sucks. You can't (properly) run a proper product evaluation with a sample size of 1.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by javentre View Post
    That sucks. You can't (properly) run a proper product evaluation with a sample size of 1.
    Well, maybe. But we weren't really looking to do a months long evaluation of the reliability and longevity (other than to test our range and duty ammo through it) since it has such a good reputation. We were looking to get a gun that people shoot better since we are only allowed 1 handgun, no alternatives and no choices after the agency makes the decision. This is why we were surprised at the problems. These are the only 2 guns we considered.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpookyPistolero View Post
    I'm confused about the M&P and why folks here find it so impressive. I like the low bore axis/etc, I can get on board with that. But why would a group of folks who really use their weapons hard tolerate a pistol that requires a bunch of fixes and upgrades out-of-the-box? Any other platform would be laughed away if it required that.

I'm not trying to be inflammatory, I'm just genuinely confused why such a no-BS group of people would tolerate this situation.
    I definitely wouldn't say that it "requires a bunch of fixes and upgrades out-of-the-box..."

Not that I'm a member in the "hard use/no-BS group"(maybe moderate use/BS)....

I've been following the M&P closely for about three years.I bought my first 2+ years ago.I'm getting ready to purchase a third...

The only thing I plan to do is check and possibly replace the striker(if it's the older style) as preventative maintenance.It's a $30 part that takes minutes to install.

If I add the Apex upgrades(which I may) they would be considered luxury items in my mind.The M&P stands on it's own OTB IMO.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Correct you are and is why they are the king of ND's!

I won't go any farther as I don't want derail this from it's intended purpose.

C4
    Really Grant. You are killing me. I really dont get you sometimes. You are one of the most helpful guys on this forum and I have spent money buying gear from you, but you also say some of the stupidist stuff. I am actually offended that a pro-gun person like yourself would make such a stupid statement. No Glock has ever fired without someone pulling the trigger. I really wish you would stick to the same rules you want everyone else to go by. I had had about all the editorializing I can handle. You are defending MPs for the same things you are bashing Glocks for. I just wish a guy like yourself that is respected on this forum would act worthy of the respect people give you. All we want are facts not you defending your chosen weapon.

Matt

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpookyPistolero View Post
    I'm confused about the M&P and why folks here find it so impressive. I like the low bore axis/etc, I can get on board with that. But why would a group of folks who really use their weapons hard tolerate a pistol that requires a bunch of fixes and upgrades out-of-the-box? Any other platform would be laughed away if it required that.

I'm not trying to be inflammatory, I'm just genuinely confused why such a no-BS group of people would tolerate this situation.
    I am not sure if you read the first post and then my responses or not.

The point was to discuss extraction issues with the 9mm's and WWB ammo and trigger reset with the S&W PC Sear.

Keep in mind that not every pistol in 9mm has issues with WWB and not every M&P with the PC sear has a trigger reset issue.

The Apex Tactical sear and striker block is nothing more than a trigger job. Some might like the factory trigger and don't need to do anything to their guns.

So really, there is nothing to "tolerate."

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 05-02-10 at 20:43.

Page 10 of 91 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast