Page 13 of 91 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: The S&W M&P problem thread

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    Please make sure to NOT take what I said out of context.

I was referring to how one breaks down the weapon and nothing else.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norinco_Luv View Post
    Do the M&P9 Pro's have these same issues??

Dane
    Since they run the PC Sear, they can. If they are in 9mm, they can have extraction issues with WWB 9mm ammo.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Please make sure to NOT take what I said out of context.
    ...but in context, it's no fun!

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I was referring to how one breaks down the weapon and nothing else.
    I know. You were clear. ...still gotta have fun with it.

Ironically, I've never used the little sear drop wire to take down an M&P. I use the trigger to drop the sear for disassembly, like I do for a Glock. The little tool has never even been out of the grip of my M&P9.

That said, I understand designing to reduce liability, and removing a step that is a part of every ND is certainly understandable.
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    ...but in context, it's no fun!

I know. You were clear. ...still gotta have fun with it.

Ironically, I've never used the little sear drop wire to take down an M&P. I use the trigger to drop the sear for disassembly, like I do for a Glock. The little tool has never even been out of the grip of my M&P9.

That said, I understand designing to reduce liability, and removing a step that is a part of every ND is certainly understandable.

I am all for fun (at my expense).

C4

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that I currently am authorized a 1911 and 9 mm Glock.

Riverine's comments above are right on. Maybe we are just lucky, but we have not seen any major problems yet with M&P's (primarily .40 & .45's). I was involved in a M&P40 trial at a large agency where four M&P40's fired 7000 rounds each in 1 week without any significant problems--despite a lack of cleaning and lube, no failures to feed or function occurred. The M&P40 may just be the best LE service pistol produced to date Without a doubt, the M&P offers the softest shooting feel and least subjective recoil of any .40 S&W I have shot--despite the larger caliber, the M&P40 feels a lot like shooting a 3rd Gen G17. The most recent M&P40's (primarily DSW SN's) I've shot had very good stock triggers that felt fine right out of the box. On the other hand, the M&P45's (mainly MPU SN's) had relatively poor triggers at first, but by 1000 or so rounds they smoothed out to an acceptable feel. 10-8 baseplates work great and seem to prevent baseplate cracking issues--I personally use them on all my M&P mags. I know a lot of folks have broken strikers, but despite a lot of dry firing (albeit with snap-caps) of multiple M&P's, I have yet to break a striker. The M&P 40's and especially the 45's have proven to be very accurate. Most importantly, I cannot recall ever personally seeing a malfunction with a full-size M&P40 or M&P45. The M&P40 w/ambi safety and possibly a Performance Center or Apex sear will be the service pistol I'll pick if I ever go back to patrol duties again; likewise, if I ever choose to migrate away from a 1911, the M&P45 is what will replace it... On the other hand, despite ToddG's great test proving the 9 mm M&P efficacy, for now I'll stick with 3rd gen 9 mm Glocks over the 9 mm M&P due to their superb history and parts availability.

Oh--someone I know who has shot a lot more 9 mm M&P's than I, have mentioned that the M&P does indeed shoot better with higher pressure rounds do to the locking sequence with the pistol.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by S500N View Post
    I have a couple of further questions as it relates to the lack of trigger reset.

1. Has anybody experienced this with the stock sear?

2. Does anybody have a PC sear that did not exhibit reset issues early on but then developed them down the road, say after at least a couple thousand rounds or more?

Thanks,

Steve
    Just started happening to me on a box stock M&P 40 that I was using while teaching a CCW class this weekend. App. 3,000 rounds through the pistol and had it occur 3 times in 200 rounds during the course of the class.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Keep in mind that I currently am authorized a 1911 and 9 mm Glock.

Riverine's comments above are right on. Maybe we are just lucky, but we have not seen any major problems yet with M&P's (primarily .40 & .45's). I was involved in a M&P40 trial at a large agency where four M&P40's fired 7000 rounds each in 1 week without any significant problems--despite a lack of cleaning and lube, no failures to feed or function occurred. The M&P40 may just be the best LE service pistol produced to date Without a doubt, the M&P offers the softest shooting feel and least subjective recoil of any .40 S&W I have shot--despite the larger caliber, the M&P40 feels a lot like shooting a 3rd Gen G17. The most recent M&P40's (primarily DSW SN's) I've shot had very good stock triggers that felt fine right out of the box. On the other hand, the M&P45's (mainly MPU SN's) had relatively poor triggers at first, but by 1000 or so rounds they smoothed out to an acceptable feel. 10-8 baseplates work great and seem to prevent baseplate cracking issues--I personally use them on all my M&P mags. I know a lot of folks have broken strikers, but despite a lot of dry firing (albeit with snap-caps) of multiple M&P's, I have yet to break a striker. The M&P 40's and especially the 45's have proven to be very accurate. Most importantly, I cannot recall ever personally seeing a malfunction with a full-size M&P40 or M&P45. The M&P40 w/ambi safety and possibly a Performance Center or Apex sear will be the service pistol I'll pick if I ever go back to patrol duties again; likewise, if I ever choose to migrate away from a 1911, the M&P45 is what will replace it... On the other hand, despite ToddG's great test proving the 9 mm M&P efficacy, for now I'll stick with 3rd gen 9 mm Glocks over the 9 mm M&P due to their superb history and parts availability.

Oh--someone I know who has shot a lot more 9 mm M&P's than I, have mentioned that the M&P does indeed shoot better with higher pressure rounds do to the locking sequence with the pistol.

Interesting, I'd like to know more about this

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So would I..
    I reload, and I have noticed a accuracy difference with warmer loads, I don't know why, but both of my M&P's (9&45) seem to prefer a warmer load...
    Last edited by ralph; 05-05-10 at 18:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Maybe it has to do with S&W wacky 1/18ish twist? I know SL has a 1/16 and I hope that's what Bar-Sto goes with.
    Last edited by G34Shooter; 05-05-10 at 21:02.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiorifleman View Post
    Just started happening to me on a box stock M&P 40 that I was using while teaching a CCW class this weekend. App. 3,000 rounds through the pistol and had it occur 3 times in 200 rounds during the course of the class.
    Sending mine back to S&W- CS Rep didn't sound like this was the first he'd heard of it on a stock .40. Will do a AAR when it is back in my hands.

Page 13 of 91 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast