Page 46 of 91 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: The S&W M&P problem thread

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Thanks for the contact info, guys!

Will,

As far as other mass produced polymer pistol accuracy, I only have Glocks for a reference point, but I've watched, fired or supervised the firing of a couple of million rounds from that platform involving a few hundred examples since the late 1980s. Most were 9mm, the next most represented were .40 S&W and a very few .45 ACP guns were involved. Most of these pistols would shoot about 3-4" 25 yard groups from a prone or other solid rested position. I did find that the .40 pistols were the worst of the breed accuracy wise during all this time.

I have three 3rd Gen G17s and a single 3rd Gen G19 right now and all of them will stay inside of 3" at 25 yards off the bench. The M&P is simply terrible and I became suspicious of it right after I traded for it when I noted that it wasn't shooting to my shot "calls" during some LAV bullseye drills at 15 yards. My scores were also lower and when I bench tested it, I found out I have a turkey. I will have to do some thinking about spending lots of money on a new barrel and may send the gun to Smith and see if they'll offer any options that improve the situation.
    Well that's useful info. I would agree for sure, send to S&W as their CS is second to none, and it may very well be you simply got one that is off spec. Normally, as you well know, accuracy complaints, usually = shooter error, but sounds to me like your experience level, you would know the difference. I bet S&W puts a new barrel in it, makes sure everything is spec, and sends back GTG. I would do that before you start dropping $$$ into it, unless you want to. By all accounts however, the Apex trigger improvement is worth it, and that long DAO mushy trigger sure as hell can't be helpful to groupings at distance, I'd add that at least.

I ordered it for the .40 compact I have, as the trigger is the only real complaint I have of the gun at this time.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The accuracy issues surprise me. I know Todd got sub 2" groups with Speer Gold Dot ammo from his test gun. Speaking personally, my M&P's are very accurate:

9mm using crappy Brown Bear ammo at 25 yards...timed drill. Everything outside the 10 ring is on me, not the gun. It's not the best looking target ever, but 4 shots in the X ring tells me that the gun isn't the limiting factor on accuracy.

My M&P .45 offhand at 25 yards, 230 grain Remington bulk .45 ACP...again, the flyer is on me:

While I don't have the largest collection of M&P's in the world, I do own several and I've shot a bunch more than that...and so far I've never come across one that was exhibiting noticeable accuracy issues.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 08-01-10 at 21:31.

Feedback Score
    Send it back to S&W...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My personal belief is that the optimal twist rate for the 9mm with bullet weights from 115-147gr. is 1 in 16. Coupled with a longer dwell time, group size should be well within 3 inches at 25 yards. Just my personal experience, but all the Glock, BHP, 1911 match/target Bar-Sto barrels I've fitted over the years have provided well within that expectation.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What's the twist rate on the stock M&P barrel, Randy?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burwell
    Stock twist rate on a stock M&P is 1:18.75 not 1:16
    http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...post&p=1182166
    Last edited by javentre; 08-02-10 at 07:17.

Feedback Score

back to strikers for a minute

I have some strikers that S&W sent me in January. The guy I talked to didn't seem familiar with the striker situation, but said he'd send current production. At the time it was not clear to me whether the improved version was being made for .45s only, or for 9s as well- 9mm compact is what I was trying to fit.

When they arrived, they seemed to look like the ones pictured in post #11 by C4. When I couldn't get them to install, I decided they were the .45 version, and that the improved 9s might not be in production yet. Now I realize that I might have been wrong, and the only problem might have been that I was trying to use the old assembly parts.

Questions:

1. Is there an easy way to distinguish .45 strikers from 9s? Are they a different length or obviously different in appearance?

2. Is there a way to distinguish the latest 9mm version from the one that immediately preceded it? Mine look like C4's pic as far as I can tell, but there might be some subtle difference I couldn't see.

3. Am I correct in assuming that the $6 part called "striker/assembly" on the G&R webstore is for the spring and plastic parts, and does not include the striker itself?

Thanks in advance.....

JD

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydoe View Post
    IQuestions:

1. Is there an easy way to distinguish .45 strikers from 9s? Are they a different length or obviously different in appearance?
    Yes. The 45's a slightly different color to them (not as shiny as the 9mm strikers).

2. Is there a way to distinguish the latest 9mm version from the one that immediately preceded it? Mine look like C4's pic as far as I can tell, but there might be some subtle difference I couldn't see.
    This is hard to do I think.

3. Am I correct in assuming that the $6 part called "striker/assembly" on the G&R webstore is for the spring and plastic parts, and does not include the striker itself?

Thanks in advance.....

JD
    Incorrect. For $6 dollars, you will JUST be receiving the striker (no springs, plastic parts, etc).

C4

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    The accuracy issues surprise me. I know Todd got sub 2" groups with Speer Gold Dot ammo from his test gun. Speaking personally, my M&P's are very accurate:

9mm using crappy Brown Bear ammo at 25 yards...timed drill. Everything outside the 10 ring is on me, not the gun. It's not the best looking target ever, but 4 shots in the X ring tells me that the gun isn't the limiting factor on accuracy.

Last time I shot at 25 yards with my Pro 5", my groups reflected the same results using WWB and Federal cheap stuff. Where they were hitting relative to the target is another story and a lesson learned. I was pretty excited to see myself hit 5-10 shots that were covered by my fist at that range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Yes. The 45's a slightly different color to them (not as shiny as the 9mm strikers).

So the general shape and dimensions are the same, and the color is different?

This is hard to do I think.

If mine looks like the one you pictured, including color, then it's one of the new revisions, but not necessarily the last?

Incorrect. For $6 dollars, you will JUST be receiving the striker (no springs, plastic parts, etc).

The striker itself is $6 and the other stuff make up the bulk of the $30 package sold in various places?
    C4
    I think what I need is the other stuff, since I already have strikers. However, if the striker only adds $6 to the cost I might as well buy complete assemblies with striker included and be certain I have the newest version.

Does this make sense?

Page 46 of 91 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast