Page 51 of 91 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: The S&W M&P problem thread

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    Well, I got a new problem with my M&P9. It seemded that every 1200-1500 rounds the gun would fail to detonate a round. I had this happen with several brands of ammo so I wrote it off to a freak occurrance.

I probably have over 7,000 rounds through the gun, so I replaced the recoil spring assembly. I was using some Barnual Brass ammo which I have used before, but this time I experienced at least 1 failure to detonate per 50 rounds. In one case I put the round back in and it detonated without issue. I have used Barnual before without issue. Perhaps it is this particular batch of Barnual that has harder primers. However, I was also shooting a Gen 2 Glock 17 using the same ammo and had no issues with the gun.

Needles to say, I find this issue very troubling.
    Take a look at the striker and striker channel. I had similar issues with my M&P 40 and the new striker seems to have solved it.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've taken a look at the striker channel. No gunk or anything.

Wierd that this just started happening when I replaced the recoil spring assembly.

I am going to try the gun with other ammo on the off chance that this lot of Barnual brass cased FMJ was a bad lot--even though it functioned 100% in my Glock.

Very disappointing.
    Last edited by Ed L.; 08-14-10 at 14:43.

Feedback Score

Wierd that this just started happening when I replaced the recoil spring assembly.

I am going to try the gun with other ammo on the off chance that this lot of Barnual brass cased FMJ was a bad lot--even though it functioned 100% in my Glock.

Very disappointing.
    It happened when you replaced the recoil spring, right? Maybe it's time to replace the entire striker assembly. The springs could be weak, the tip of the striker could be broken, or springs could be counter-acting each other. (don't even know if this is possible, but I've heard it before).

Try looking at the actual striker assembly, and not just the channel.
    Last edited by TheSmiter1; 08-14-10 at 17:37.

Feedback Score
    Well, I got a new problem with my M&P9. It seemded that every 1200-1500 rounds the gun would fail to detonate a round. I had this happen with several brands of ammo so I wrote it off to a freak occurrance.

I probably have over 7,000 rounds through the gun, so I replaced the recoil spring assembly. I was using some Barnual Brass ammo which I have used before, but this time I experienced at least 1 failure to detonate per 50 rounds. In one case I put the round back in and it detonated without issue. I have used Barnual before without issue. Perhaps it is this particular batch of Barnual that has harder primers. However, I was also shooting a Gen 2 Glock 17 using the same ammo and had no issues with the gun.

Needles to say, I find this issue very troubling.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    Take a look at the striker and striker channel. I had similar issues with my M&P 40 and the new striker seems to have solved it.
    Agreed.

Very disappointing.
    Interesting. When mine starts to get no ignition/light primer strikes, it's always the red primer sealant in the steel eastern european ammo severely clogging up the striker, it's spring and the channel.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Its amazing to hear of all the different problems that seem to plague the M&P. makes one think twice about buying one despite the improved ergonomics of the piece vice the Glock.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSmiter1 View Post
    Try looking at the actual striker assembly, and not just the channel.
    I've done it.

It looks normal. Note--the coppery looking stuff in the first picture is just the flash and the light. It does not exist on the striker. If I kept reshooting until I got a perfect picture I would never be posting anything online.

Last edited by Ed L.; 08-15-10 at 01:25.

Feedback Score
    I've done it.

It looks normal. Note--the coppery looking stuff in the first picture is just the flash and the light. It does not exist on the striker. If I kept reshooting until I got a perfect picture I would never be posting anything online.

I would still try replacing the whole thing. Call S&W and tell them yours broke. It's worth a shot, at least.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mac View Post
    Its amazing to hear of all the different problems that seem to plague the M&P. makes one think twice about buying one despite the improved ergonomics of the piece vice the Glock.
    Well,I've got 2, A FS9, and a Midsize.45..I must be in the minority...I've had exactly 1 FTF with the .45 in over 3000 rnds..None in the 9,It has about 2000rnds on it, no broken strikers, still using the orginials (they're the black ones), No ejection problems, They've both been very reliable..Nothing has broke, cracked, or otherwise took a shit..I'm happy with mine.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Well,I've got 2, A FS9, and a Midsize.45..I must be in the minority...I've had exactly 1 FTF with the .45 in over 3000 rnds..None in the 9,It has about 2000rnds on it, no broken strikers, still using the orginials (they're the black ones), No ejection problems, They've both been very reliable..Nothing has broke, cracked, or otherwise took a shit..I'm happy with mine.
    You are definitely not in the minority... +1

Not so sure about the looks of that striker though.. It would seem to me, sending the weapon back to S&W would be the logical move to make, posting here is fine, making believe we are gunsmiths doesn't make a lot of sense. Bashing the gun makes even less sense.
    Jack C.
    cleaned up my gun list for Odie, hope this makes you feel better.. is my target ok? I
    can delete it too..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mac View Post
    It's amazing all the sick people you see at a hospital. Makes you think twice about going even though there's a gaping hole in your leg.

It's a thread about people who are having problems. Not surprisingly, it's full of problems. We could do this little experiment with any platform and the result would be the same.

Page 51 of 91 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast