Page 52 of 91 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: The S&W M&P problem thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    I've done it.

It looks normal.
    You have 7k on the gun. The maintenance schedule, IIRC, suggests replacing not just the recoil spring, but also the TRS and the striker spring.

If you're suddenly having issues with "hard primers" and you're past the threshold suggested by the manufacturer for replacing the spring responsible for setting off primers, the simple solution would seem to be replacing the $1 striker spring, rather than a deep inspection of other parts.
    Last edited by jh9; 08-15-10 at 08:23.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Very well said jh9. There is no such thing as the M&P 'run flawless' thread. People see this and get the wrong impression about the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    It's amazing all the sick people you see at a hospital. Makes you think twice about going even though there's a gaping hole in your leg.

It's a thread about people who are having problems. Not surprisingly, it's full of problems. We could do this little experiment with any platform and the result would be the same.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mac View Post
    Its amazing to hear of all the different problems that seem to plague the M&P. makes one think twice about buying one despite the improved ergonomics of the piece vice the Glock.
    "Plague" would be a gross over statement. Vast majority of people have no issues, and they are very robust built and well designed guns, hence why they are being so rapidly adopted and accepted by people who know combat handguns, such as Hilton Yam, DocGR, et al. and all manner of PDs, etc.

I have seen plenty of Glocks go down myself BTW.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    I've taken a look at the striker channel. No gunk or anything.

Wierd that this just started happening when I replaced the recoil spring assembly.

I am going to try the gun with other ammo on the off chance that this lot of Barnual brass cased FMJ was a bad lot--even though it functioned 100% in my Glock.

Very disappointing.
    Hi Ed,

There could be debris on the front wall of the striker channel. It also appears that you have the earlier version striker assembly. The rev. b striker assembly uses a spring that has 3 additional coils. I think that could resolve your problem.

-Randy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    It's amazing all the sick people you see at a hospital. Makes you think twice about going even though there's a gaping hole in your leg.

It's a thread about people who are having problems. Not surprisingly, it's full of problems. We could do this little experiment with any platform and the result would be the same.
    Sick people and M&Ps...interesting comparison.

I disagree in that this is NOT a thread about people having problems, its about a particular model of firearm that is having problems. And while a similar thread could be started about any other firearm, the fact that those threads don't abound is telling. Were this a "problem with the 1911" thread, I could understand it as there are about 50 different manufacturers of 1911s and about twice that many parts manufactures in about a half a dozen countries.

And while Glocks have certainly had their problems, they seem far more limited and adequately addressed by the sole company that produces them. So it would seemingly follow that the sole company that produces the M&P should address they myriad of problems that 'plague' the M&P. Of course, the M&P hasn't been out nearly as long as the Glock, so that may be understandable. I'm not a Glockaholic by any means - far from it.

I want to be a fan of the M&P and see it succeed since it is an American pistol. It just seems it may have been released before it was 'done', which means it isn't quite the 'product improved' Glock that it is sometimes touted to be. Could be a reason that its not pushed by the likes of Vickers or Hackathorn.

I am well aware of what Mr. Yam carries on a daily basis.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Um...

Vickers, Hackathorn and other trainers dont exist to "push" products. They exist to train and inform.

If you ask them about their experiences with the M&P i dont think they're going to tell you to stay away from the product.

The darned platform is six years old. There are thousands upon thousands of pistols running absolutely fine out there yet somehow there is an epidemic of issues and the pistol is fundamentally flawed?

Im not sure im following.

There ARE other threads that mirror this one. What IS telling is that those threads ARENT cluttered with issues because widespread adoption of those pistols among people that actually SHOOT is simply not there. How do you expect to flush out problems when the guns arent used and abused as often?

I bet if we started a poll amongst users you would find Glock and M&P shooters near the top of the list in regards to most rounds per year fired.

Feedback Score
    Sick people and M&Ps...interesting comparison.

I disagree in that this is NOT a thread about people having problems, its about a particular model of firearm that is having problems. And while a similar thread could be started about any other firearm, the fact that those threads don't abound is telling. Were this a "problem with the 1911" thread, I could understand it as there are about 50 different manufacturers of 1911s and about twice that many parts manufactures in about a half a dozen countries.

And while Glocks have certainly had their problems, they seem far more limited and adequately addressed by the sole company that produces them. So it would seemingly follow that the sole company that produces the M&P should address they myriad of problems that 'plague' the M&P. Of course, the M&P hasn't been out nearly as long as the Glock, so that may be understandable. I'm not a Glockaholic by any means - far from it.

I want to be a fan of the M&P and see it succeed since it is an American pistol. It just seems it may have been released before it was 'done', which means it isn't quite the 'product improved' Glock that it is sometimes touted to be. Could be a reason that its not pushed by the likes of Vickers or Hackathorn.

I am well aware of what Mr. Yam carries on a daily basis.
    Pushed might be the wrong word, but he has highly recommended them in the past.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks Randy & JH,

I sprayed some synthetic safe gunscrubber up the striker channel and willl be getting an updated striker assembly as soon as posible and will report back.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Could be a reason that its not pushed by the likes of Vickers or Hackathorn.
    Larry Vickers and Jason Falla devoted an entire episode of Tactical Arms last season to the M&P.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Um...

Vickers, Hackathorn and other trainers dont exist to "push" products. They exist to train and inform.
    Well said. And what I see in their holsters in the majority of pics speaks volumes.

If you ask them about their experiences with the M&P i dont think they're going to tell you to stay away from the product.
    Never said they wouldn't recommend it, but it is not the first thing that rolls off their tongue.

The darned platform is six years old. There are thousands upon thousands of pistols running absolutely fine out there yet somehow there is an epidemic of issues and the pistol is fundamentally flawed?
    I didn't say it was fundamentally flawed. I speculated that it perhaps wasn't quite baked and ready for prime time upon its release.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I don't dislike the M&P, quite the contrary. But 27 pages of "issues" is a clue. I didn't make up the issues, nor did I print them. I just point out that it is 'interesting' and at least makes this person wonder just a bit and I don't think I'm the only one.

YMMV and to each their own.

Page 52 of 91 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast