Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Female friendly semi-auto for small hands?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Female friendly semi-auto for small hands?

My wife is looking for an reliable semi for her small hands that doesn't require a lot of strength to release the slide (she cannot deal with my G17's slide) and is pretty easy to manage from a recoil standpoint. We do plan on spending many weekends shooting as many varieties as possible (and have begin the process), but given the multitude of choices out there I wanted to see if anyone could point us in the right direction.

So far she likes the older P228, P238, P239 and Walther PPS and PPK (in 380). Glocks seem to be too wide for her hands.

Her final requirement is that it has suitable stopping power. Now I'm not sure a .380 fits the bill, but she seems to like a lot of these already. I would like it to be 9mm given the stores of ammo I've been "collecting", but I guess I can start buying something else if necessary. Don't really have a price-point, but we probably don't want to spend more than $1,500. Less is certainly better since she'll need lots of training courses. Heck, I can use some too.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    M&P9c with the small grip insert should fit her bill just fine. Small gun, more punch than the .380 and a decently sized slide release for smaller hands or weaker thumbs.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    check out the hk p7. squeeze the grip to release the slide. single stack, points amazingly well. intuitive and inherently safe manual of arms.

Feedback Score
    Check out this website. Its a good resource for women shooters
    http://corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx#FirstGun

My wife went with an M&P 9mm with the small grip inserts. Like most people, she found it easier to shoot well than the subcompact version. I'd be wary of certain .380's. Blowback single stack autos like P232 and PPK can have sharp recoil impulse that some don't like. Double stacks like a Beretta or CZ83 are very easy to manage though.

Instead of using the slide lock have her use hand over slide method while she pushes the frame forward. See Cornered Cat link http://corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx If she can't for whatever reason then she can't properly manipulate the firearm anyways. That's when maybe a revolver may be a better choice.
    Last edited by Ian111; 04-29-10 at 03:09.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd say--go with what she can shoot accurately. Stopping power = shot placement. A couple of well placed hits from a smaller caliber gun will beat a miss from a larger caliber gun.

It's how the gun fits her and how she shoots will determine what is best for her...not so much the caliber.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    skyugo already beat me to it on the P7. It's small but recoils surprisingly gently due to it's gas-retarded design, steel frame, and VERY low bore axis and is 9mm. It's also pretty simple to use.

That said, obviously a .380 she likes and can shoot well is better than a 9mm she doesn't.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Glock 19 with extreme grip reduction from Boresight Solutions.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Glock 19 with extreme grip reduction from Boresight Solutions.
    Not that it's a bad suggestion, Rob (in fact, I think it's a great suggestion), a lot of folks (myself included) have a difficult time buying a gun they don't like as is on the faith that a gunsmith will turn it into something they'll like when they haven't had the chance to handle the gunsmithed product.

I've actually been struggling with this issue for the past several months, given that I love everything about the Gen3 G19 but the damnable finger grooves, but am concerned that if I send one in for a finger groove removal, I'll find the stippling job that goes with it too aggressive. Anybody in northern DFW got a Boresight G19 I can fondle?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    FWIW, Boresight can tailor the level of roughness to you. The gun he did for me was actually for my girlfriend and knowing that it was for a female he knocked down the sharp edges, more aggressively reduced the grip size, etc.

If you decide to go that route talk with him before you send the gun in and he can help make suggestions.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Another vote for the M&P9c with the small grip installed.

Mine shoots like a full size pistol.

Depending on just how small her hands are,she might actually prefer the flat base late on the magazines.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast