Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Female friendly semi-auto for small hands?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW, Boresight can tailor the level of roughness to you. The gun he did for me was actually for my girlfriend and knowing that it was for a female he knocked down the sharp edges, more aggressively reduced the grip size, etc.

If you decide to go that route talk with him before you send the gun in and he can help make suggestions.
    Good to know.

Feedback Score
    Many consider the Browning P-35 a good small hands pistol.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian111 View Post
    Check out this website. Its a good resource for women shooters
    http://corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx#FirstGun

My wife went with an M&P 9mm with the small grip inserts. Like most people, she found it easier to shoot well than the subcompact version. I'd be wary of certain .380's. Blowback single stack autos like P232 and PPK can have sharp recoil impulse that some don't like. Double stacks like a Beretta or CZ83 are very easy to manage though.

Instead of using the slide lock have her use hand over slide method while she pushes the frame forward. See Cornered Cat link http://corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx If she can't for whatever reason then she can't properly manipulate the firearm anyways. That's when maybe a revolver may be a better choice.
    That's a good reference, thanks.

She doesn't seem to have a problem manipulating some of the other slides. I think part of her difficulty is the smallish slide release lever on my Glock (it's stock). I just had her try pushing the frame forward- that seems to be pretty easy for her to do. Thanks for that as well.

We have enough revolvers for now, wife wants to try semi. I think she's wanting to take some carbine classes with me too, so now I'm building her a lightweight AR. Sheesh...

This is a woman who too me rock climbing on our first date and who used to race in the SCCA with/against me. Definitely a cool chick!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Given any thought to the "fullsize" Kahr? Expensive and low-capacity, but also very trim grips and the "big" ones can be pretty reliable from what I've seen.

If I could have found one for the GF to try I might have wound up going that route with her. Probably in Polymer frame.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gfelber View Post
    doesn't require a lot of strength to release the slide (she cannot deal with my G17's slide)
    Just asking, is she strong enough to work the slide to put a round in the chamber or clear a malfunction?

If not a good J frame revolver with a trigger job my be your best bet.

I know, changing a woman's mind is hard but it can be done. Take her to the range, use snap caps or something and do some malfunction clearance drills.
    Last edited by Tomahawk_Ghost; 04-29-10 at 09:58.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Given any thought to the "fullsize" Kahr? Expensive and low-capacity, but also very trim grips and the "big" ones can be pretty reliable from what I've seen.

If I could have found one for the GF to try I might have wound up going that route with her. Probably in Polymer frame.
    Rob,

To be honest, I don't know much about Kahr. I'll see if I can locate a range that has some we can try out here.

And thanks for the Glock grip reduction suggestion. I have a friend that had this done on a 19 and was very happy with the results. Have to say, however, that the wife hasn't exactly warmed up to Glocks at this point so I'm not sure if we'll pursue this.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk_Ghost View Post
    Just asking, is she strong enough to work the slide to put a round in the chamber or clear a malfunction?

If not a good J frame revolver with a trigger job my be your best bet.
    Yes. Again, I think the issue is the Glock's release lever and lack of familiarity with the action of the release. She had zero problems with some other semis she has looked at, so naturally I'm inclined to suggest one that seems to work better from the start.

Feedback Score
    sig 225/p6- some good deals on the used german police ones- a great compact 9mm with single stack comfort in the grip for under 400 bucks. I have a sig 9mm 220 which is very comfortable for my wife to operate as well.

Feedback Score
    My lady appropriated my Browning Hi-Power.
    We ( ok I ) got her a Glock and while she could shoot it,
    she wasn't comfortable with it.
    She knew she liked the Browning so one day it moved from
    my side of the bed to hers. Apparently it has no interest in
    coming back to me. Something about "beside the couch".
    This soldier should not be allowed North of the Light Line.
    CPT HM

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think we've all been here at some time. When my fiance wanted to get a handgun I first made her go with me to a few gun shows and I had her pick up and handle EVERYTHING. After taking her shooting with several handguns and after she felt what fitted her best she chose my G19.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast