Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Female friendly semi-auto for small hands?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not sure if this is just a problem I run in to or if this is a common "girly" issue...but I can't get my gf/wife (either of them...kidding) interested in ugly guns.

I have really been hoping to drum up some interest in an M&P9. However, if it's not steel, or, in some instances, aluminum, I can't seem to get her interested. She just has an aesthetic obsession with smooth, shiny, metal objects.

Now if it were up to me, she'd be getting an MP9 or G19...but no. The glock are right out because they are too square. The M&Ps are better, but still...too plastic.

Well, what can you do? It's either buy something YOU like, or buy them something THEY like. And I guess a pistol she likes is a pistol she is more likely to shoot...and I would rather have her owning a second tier pistol with 10,000 rounds through it because she loves it than a top tier pistol with 500 rounds through it because it's an ugly black brick.

Tough to buy guns for women in my experience.
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Feedback Score
    Take her to a gun shop (with shooting gloves so she doesn't damage her hands), choose all the guns she likes, and have her manipulate the slides of each. Of those she selects, have her shoot and reload on her own to decide the winner. Not all at the same time, but a couple every weekend, until she finds the "one" for her.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I bought my wife the HK P7M8...
    Is this the one I saw at nvb? Me likey. Me want.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Sig 226/229 E2 or HK P30
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lethal dose View Post
    Is this the one I saw at nvb? Me likey. Me want.
    Yep. He keeps saying that people are trying to buy it.

C4

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Yep. He keeps saying that people are trying to buy it.

C4
    Need a remmy 870?
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lethal dose View Post
    Need a remmy 870?
    LOL, hum do have about 10 of them?

C4

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The P6/225, Kahr's, P7M8 and M&P 9C would all be good choices. I'd shy away from the Kahr and the P7 if her hand/upper body strength isn't great, as the recoil spring on both are very stiff. Whatever she gets should be something she can easily manipulate.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the S&W 3913. They're easy on the wallet on the used market. The recoil spring isn't all that stiff. The DA and SA pulls are fairly light. The 8 round single stack alloy frame make for a lightweight, easy to carry and shoot platform.

Dimensions are: 6.75" long, 5.25" high with pinkie extension base pad, 1.1" wide (including slide stop), 1.04" wide grip, 5.25" grip circumference, 1.9" trigger reach in DA, 1.55" in SA, weight is 23 oz empty, 30 oz loaded with 9 Ranger 127 SXT +P+.

Here are some pics of mine with an Accurate Iron grip treatment, melted slide stop, shaved and melted single side safety.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My wife has very small hands and is fond of her Kahr 9mms, she has a CW9 and a PM9 that she uses/carries.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    Take her to a gun shop (with shooting gloves so she doesn't damage her hands), choose all the guns she likes, and have her manipulate the slides of each. Of those she selects, have her shoot and reload on her own to decide the winner. Not all at the same time, but a couple every weekend, until she finds the "one" for her.
    That's pretty much what we've started doing. Two different ranges this weekend. Should be fun.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast