Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who builds the lightest AR-15 today? woman/kid

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...egory_rn=15702

Listed at 6 lbs is an accurate weigh.
    I find that S&W weight to be a little on the low side. I have a BCM 14.5" midlength with 11.0 Troy Extreme and it's 6 lbs 2 oz. I can't imagine that the longer barrel and tube doesn't weigh more.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrider657 View Post
    I built this gun with a Cav Arms Lower, Carbon 15 Upper, and a Bushmaster Super Lightweight 16" barrel. The result is 5 lb. 1 oz (without magazine). It handles and shoots great.

What the consensus on the durability of these Bushy carbon uppers and how much lighter are they compared to a standard upper?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfelber View Post
    What the consensus on the durability of these Bushy carbon uppers and how much lighter are they compared to a standard upper?

Not good and should be avoided.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    GotM4 does, you should PM him and ask him to build you one.
    ACADEMI Firearms, Tactics and Driving Instructor
    VA Arms Co FFL/SOT part-time armorer
    certified HK/BUSHMASTER armorer
    “There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gfelber View Post
    I had heard the horror stories but built one anyway. It assembled exactly like an aluminum Upper and so far has performed flawlessly.

Full disclosure: I have not ran this gun very hard and it has less than 1,000 rounds through it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
    if you want to go even more lightweight, have to cobble together parts vs a complete rifle. Using a pencil upper and a Cavalry Arms MkII lower. The lower is actually cheaper than a comparable aluminum lower because of the integrated buttstock. Cav Arms lower is worth looking into.

Carbine pencil upper will be slightly lighter than a midlength pencil. But carbine will have more recoil due to the gas system. My middy lightweight recoils more than my other middys just because the gun weighs less than my other setups by 2 lbs.

My Cav Arms + BCM middy LW upper setup weighs about 5.75lbs unloaded with iron sights only. Balanced well, the center of balance is somewhere around the magwell.
    the cav lowers are pretty neat, i had one with a lightweight CMMG upper on it. i never weighed the gun, but it was probably the lightest AR15 i've ever handled. ~6 lbs probably?

that said if this rifle is for a woman/child an adjustable stock may help more than having the absolute lightest lower.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrider657 View Post
    I had heard the horror stories but built one anyway. It assembled exactly like an aluminum Upper and so far has performed flawlessly.

I have owned 2 of the Bushmaster carbon guns. The first I bought used. It would not feed, so I sent it back to BM and they fixed it for free. Then it fed but shot huge groups (XM193 ammo), and my confidence in it was already low. The other one I got new. It fed and ran fine, but also shot huge groups. So I ditched both of them. A shooting range near here that rents guns including MG to shooters had one of the BM carbon fibers, and customers shot it until the frame cracked.

Carbon fiber seems like a good idea, but my guess is it allows too much flex in the upper, resulting in poor accuracy, and the fiber frame needs an aluminum skeleton to stand up.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looey View Post
    GotM4 does, you should PM him and ask him to build you one.
    Thanks brother. Here's the hotlink to Project Featherweight.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12