Thread: Looking for a little help

Feedback Score

Looking for a little help

I'm prior service military and I have shot many different weapons, but I never really got into building any. That is until I got out. I want put together a quality M4 type weapon for HD and plinking at the range. I have seen the comparison chart and have been looking at a lot of the pictures people have posted on this great forum. What I'm looking for is a list of books I should read before building my own weapon. It's one thing to buy a bunch of parts, but I have to know how to properly put them together and I should know what tools I need. Thanks for any info.

I did find the "tools" thread here on the forum.
    Last edited by BuffaloTrooper; 04-30-10 at 08:34.

Feedback Score
    honestly unless you are looking for specific parts or want a unique configuration, you may be better off buying a current production Colt- closest to the issued gun. They sell in the 1200 dollar range. If you went to buy parts equivalent to the quality of the Colt's you'll be above that cost in no time. However, if you want to go lower cost, a decent rifle can be made for a lot less.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Honestly building right now is hit or miss as far as being cheaper, but I still build my own that way I get exactly what I want and there is a bit of satisfaction as well. I babysit the forums for deals and I'm lucky if I save $50 on an upper when it's all said and done. I regularly save $75-100 on a lower build.

That said, IMHO I would save your money and forget the books. All of the torque and staking requirements are in the forum for free with great pics, and between Brownell's build-your-own AR videos and youtube I think you'll be fine. I was/am and I'm on my 5th build. It really is not difficult with the correct tools and your computer.

Just my limited experience and personal opinion.
    "We prepare, so we don't end up at the superdome"- unknown

"IMHO, if you wanted to shoot crap ammo, you should have bought a crap upper. It makes baby Jesus cry when he sees crap ammo put through a nice upper."- C4IGrant

Feedback Score
    I always recommend the -23&P to anyone considering building their own AR or for simply maintaining their weapon.

To download the -23&P, scroll down to just before the beginning of my tutorials:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35490
    “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” -Lao Tzu

http://quibphotography.com/

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info.