Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does reciprocity mean exactly?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

What does reciprocity mean exactly?

Please bare with me here...

I know that reciprocity between states means that I can legally carry in a state that recognizes my states carry permit but does that REALLY mean I can just show up in PA for example and carry like I do here at home?

I don't need any other permit or anything like that?

It just sounds so easy...how many LE officiers (both state and local) are going to know about this?

Would it be safer to apply for a non-resident permit?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You'll have to follow the carry laws of the state you are visiting. Check to see what differences, if any, there are.

Other than that, no other special permit is needed as far as I know.
    Last edited by whiterabbit05; 04-30-10 at 13:28.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It means that your permit is accepted in the state you are visiting---and follow the rules of the state you are in (not your state's rules). I.E. I have a VA permit...if visiting NC, I follow NC laws, not VA laws.

When I travel, I carry a copy of the reciprocity agreement (usually found on state's state police or AG website) and a copy of the state law (with the referenced code--in case a LEO wants to look it up himself).

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Simply put, as long as your permit is honored in the state you are going to, you simply abide by the states law that you are visiting.

Pa is actually an OC state. No permit is required as long as you are not in a class 3 city or in an automobile. In Pa you can also carry in places that serve booze etc...

Link below will answer any question you might have. Each states laws are defined and codes listed. Print it out and bring a copy with you.
    www.handgunlaw.us

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc View Post
    Please bare with me here...

I know that reciprocity between states means that I can legally carry in a state that recognizes my states carry permit but does that REALLY mean I can just show up in PA for example and carry like I do here at home?
    Yes, as long as you comply with the local laws (i.e. in Florida I can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol but I can't in some other states).

I don't need any other permit or anything like that?

It just sounds so easy...how many LE officiers (both state and local) are going to know about this?

No need to get another license if you are covered under a reciprocity agreement. Like someone else mentioned I generally have some documentation that I throw in the car if I know I'm going to be out of state. I've got a folder that has applicable laws for pretty much all of the Southeastern US so it's all in one place.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Indiana is unique and requires that you follow the laws of your state of residence or from where your permit is from...

Buckaroo
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anticipate a wide variation of understanding of applicable statutes within the rank and file. Anticipate that there are some out there that will have grossly inaccurate information on the subject, and be willing to act on it. Anticipate that there are some that won't share your values on the topic, law or not.

I'm sure it goes without saying, but keep it concealed and don't call questions.

That removes some possibility of misunderstanding, but I think it's overkill in most cases. Can't hurt though.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for the info guys. I like the idea of carrying a print out of the Attorney General's webpage on this subject and I'm going to continue to look into a non-resident permit.

We still have family up there and my son is going to Jr. Penguins Hockey Camp in Pittsburgh this summer so I'll be spending some time in PA this year so maybe a non-resident permit isn't such a bad idea.

Feedback Score
    I do not see the point of getting a non-resident permit if they honor the permit you have, seems like a total waste of money.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I grew up in PA and that's the main place I travel to when I go out of state so I have a PA permit. As easy as a PA permit is to get I don't see why you don't get one. I got mine through Centre county, $26 and a copy of your DL and CCW. I got it back in less than 2 weeks from sending the application out. Centre is the best county to go through because most of the others make you jump through too many hoops. You can print the app right off their website. I found the link on pafoa.org.
    Last edited by Rider79; 05-01-10 at 10:10.
    "It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast