Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackhole Weaponry Barrels ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    black hole has a small table at the Portland gun show.. i've stopped and looked a couple times i've been in there for ammo (the only reason i go at all)... not impressed with what i've seen, nor with the specs they've given. cheap, unlined steel, with undesirable profiles... maybe you guys are seeing something i'm missing
    My barrel is a 416R Stainless Steel barrel. The same barrel steel that Lilja, E.R. Shaw, Douglas, Lea Baer and others use in their barrels. 416 will still rust and corrode but not as readily as other steels, but it's easier to rifle consistantly.

The barrel profile is the profile I wanted. Approximately 1" to a .750" gas block and .740" to the muzzle. I talked to the owners of Blackhole Weaponry and they informed me they would machine what ever profile I wanted. So if they were willing to do that for me why wouldn't they do it for others?

Would chrome lining be nice? No. It's not like I'm going to find corrosive Eastern Block ammunition for a 6x45. This round is and will probably only remain a handload opption. Cor Bon has some ammo but at $44 per 20 no way. Chrome lining aids in corrosion resistance and barrel longevity neither of which are concerns for this rifle.

What did I see in their barrels? Price and the fact that they were making 6x45 barrels. I'm happy with the barrel. It is accurate and the machining and finish were excellent.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I will tell you one thing, Carl, the owner, is awesome. He took care of me like none other. Best customer service.

Getting my 14.5" barrel today. Will have a range report soon.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Got a chance to go shoot it at my local indoor range. This barrel is sweet!!! Was shooting XM193 and was getting 2" groups standing at 25 yards. Not too shabby.

I'll do a full review soon. Was too excited to shoot it. Going to try end get out to the 100 yard range this weekend.

Quick cell phone pics...

My 14.5" Midlength

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    your spread should be no more than 3cm, or about an inch, at 25m, to confirm a zero. even crappy barrels can do that, so you should definitely work on that some.

Feedback Score
    I have a 13.7 inch satin stainless barrel from black hole that I had custom ordered, it has been good I'm getting 1 to 2 moa at 100yrds and 3-4 Moa at 200yrds I'm getting a 16inch barrel soon to replace a Hbar 16 on my RRA upper I like the barrel and I believe it more accurate than I can shoot, oh Fyi I don't bench shoot. so i am pretty happy with my MOA on a 13.7 barrel

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    your spread should be no more than 3cm, or about an inch, at 25m, to confirm a zero. even crappy barrels can do that, so you should definitely work on that some.
    I totally agree with you. I mentioned that because I wasn't able to do that before. 16" 1x9 twist.

With the barrel I was able to get the shots to a tighter group without changing anything else. I will be working on my shots from here on out.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Very good quality.

I have the 18' 3 groove poly.

BTW, This type of SS barrel does not usually have chrome lining.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiz View Post
    Very good quality.

I have the 18' 3 groove poly.

BTW, This type of SS barrel does not usually have chrome lining.
    negative- i didn't even know they were ALL stainless, until i just verified on their website. that would explain the crappy black-oxide finish i took as bad parkerizing, but it doesn't explain why i was told, buy their own rep at their own table, that they were unlined chromoly. so they either dropped their CM line, or that guy was at a gun-show.

i don't know how i feel about these newfangled 3-groove riflings. they seem to be popping up right now for some reason. somebody educate me- whats the ratio of land to groove with the 3-groove?
    Last edited by bkb0000; 10-21-10 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Is it cheaper to rifle a barrel with 3 grooves?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Is it cheaper to rifle a barrel with 3 grooves?
    Think of rifling like juggling

It's easier to juggle three items than it is to juggle four.

Also the tooling could cost less or last longer. Both very desirable things to a tool and die man.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast