Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackhole Weaponry Barrels ?

Feedback Score

Blackhole Weaponry Barrels ?

Anyone use Blackhole Weaponry barrels ? One of the few polygonal AR15 barrel makers it seems. Their prices are much lower than Noveske, LW etc. Opinions ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I got one coming in 6x45. I'll let you know what I think of it when it shows up. I can say that I'm not to happy all ready as I see they dropped their prices $40 right after I ordered it. But them's the breaks.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    Did you get a chance to try out the barrel ?

Feedback Score
    I've got just shy of 500 rounds through a 5.56 stainless blackhole barrel and I'm very pleased with it.

So much so, I'm buying one in 6.8 this week.

Feedback Score
    That's great... is the polygonal bore easier to clean ?

Feedback Score
    Looks like they switched from enfield to polygonal rifling sometime in the past 6 mos (which is just a slight change of the broach profile).

My 14.5" heavy barrel is enfield rifled, but I have had a HK in the past that was poly. I don't think the difference between the enfield and the poly is all that significant, but they're both easier to clean than conventional as the lands aren't recessed and therefore don't collect as much crud.

The quality of my 14.5" is top notch. The ground surfaces are dead nuts on dimension and fit my upper with just the right amount of tension (you couldn't easily pull the barrel out once seated - and that's before the nut ever came close to it, but you didn't need to drive it in either).

This thing also shoots better than me. With shitty optics and bad ammo (wolf and cheap federal) putting a 5 round group into a quarter was not difficult at 50yds. Now if I had some real glass on it, and some bullets worth mentioning, I'm certain ragged holes would be the norm. It's also not a floated barrel. For the shortest gun I could build without a tax stamp, she's a tack driver.

I'd love to see a stainless Blackhole against a stainless Noveske barrel head to head.
    Last edited by FJ540MN; 06-14-10 at 16:17.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMJ556 View Post
    Did you get a chance to try out the barrel ?
    I just received my barrel today. It looks like it will be at least a month before I can shoot it. I put it on a Daniel Defense upper and the fit and finish looks good. With any luck I'll be able to try it out hunting this year.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was finally able to try out my Blackhole Weaponry barrel in 6x45mm. I zeroed at 25 yards then confirmed at 100 and 200 yards on an 8" steel plate. At 25 yards with a new in box made in the USA 4x Weaver (not the new Chinese ones) all shots were in a quarter inch, not much of an accuracy test but it was only for zero. 20 shots at 100 yards got 19 hits on an 8" plate. The first few shots were center mass hits but the paint eventually wore away so I did not know exactly where the rounds were hitting. The miss happened when I pulled the scope slightly high left. 10 shots at 200 yards got 10 hits on the same plate. This will be for deer in my woods where 75 yards is about max.

Shots through my Shooting Chrony showed an 85 grain Speer HPBT Gameking bullet at a velocity of 2684 to 2703 fps using H-335. I plan on running this for deer season and seeing how it rings out on whitetails. I used a 20" 6x45 in the early 90's deer hunting and it worked well. With a scope and free floated barrel I think this one will work just as well.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    black hole has a small table at the Portland gun show.. i've stopped and looked a couple times i've been in there for ammo (the only reason i go at all)... not impressed with what i've seen, nor with the specs they've given. cheap, unlined steel, with undesirable profiles... maybe you guys are seeing something i'm missing

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    black hole has a small table at the Portland gun show.. i've stopped and looked a couple times i've been in there for ammo (the only reason i go at all)... not impressed with what i've seen, nor with the specs they've given. cheap, unlined steel, with undesirable profiles... maybe you guys are seeing something i'm missing
    The barrels may not be chrome lined, but that doesn't make the steel they use cheap. The profiles they displayed at the show may not be desirable to you, but somebody is buying them and from a quick search at a couple of other websites such as snipershide, folks are pleased with what they're getting. Over at ar15armory.com they're running a group buy.

The other bonus is they will build your barrel to order.

In all the handful of posts I saw, the Black Hole barrels were accurate. One thread on snipershide detailed a kaboom that may have been related to the BH barrel (barrel extension separated from barrel) but BH made good on it. Not that it makes the kaboom experience any less serious.

They may not offer barrels for everyone one but nobody does. I'm still looking for a barrel that has all the features I need and want for my build
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-15-10 at 09:42.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast