Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: flash hider/brake choice for indoor HD?

Feedback Score

flash hider/brake choice for indoor HD?

As a civilian shooter, one of my main priorities is training and equipping for a a run-of-the-mill home defense scenario. This would seem to focus on shots taken indoors and/or on the homestead, probably in low light conditions. I live in Los Angeles County, CA. Shooting suppressed will never be an option for me. This will factor in later on.

I shoot regularly and try to train realistically (and with good folks like Dean Caputo or similar) but to be honest, I have modest real-world experience compared to many of you guys. I am wondering if I know enough about what I don't know, so to speak.

I am looking for a sanity check. I think that for my HD situation, one would want to try to mitigate flash, noise, and muzzle rise, pretty much in that order. Does that sound reasonable? With that in mind (assuming I am correct- any input is appreciated) and given my limitations wrt to access to a can, what options should I be considering for my rifle?

My HD rifle is equipped with a Vortex right now. It seems to do a good job dealing with flash. As noted above, I *think* that flash would be my main concern, but noise and muzzle/recoil control might also be factors. I am not aware of a CA-legal option that would help with noise. I think a brake might be useful but I don't have enough experience to know if there are good brakes that also do a good job minimizing flash. Is there such a thing? What about noise? I would guess that a brake would make noise worse, but I'd consider it if flash AND muzzle rise could be dealt with effectively.

Bottom line= looking to minimize flash, noise, and muzzle rise and a can is not an option. Should I stick with the Vortex, go with another flash hider, or is there a brake that will also help with the flash problem?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    i would stick with the A2 flash hider. firing a brake inside an enclosed space is NOT enjoyable. whatever you choose try some quality ammo @ night and see what gives you the lowest flash.
    Last edited by rychencop; 04-28-10 at 12:34.
    “If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rychencop View Post
    i would stick with the A2 flash hider. firing a brake inside an enclosed space is NOT enjoyable. whatever you choose try some quality ammo @ night and see what gives you the lowest flash.
    The A2 is better than the Vortex? The Vortex ranks pretty high up on the flash reduction scale.

The best flash hider for flash reduction is the AAC Blackout. Well, as far as I know, anyway. I'm pretty sure 87GN did a video review comparing the A2 to the Vortex, then the Vortex to the Blackout. The Blackout had the least amount of flash.

The like rychencop said, you do not want a muzzle brake for indoor use, unless you want to loose your hearing.

I would stick with the Vortex, and maybe upgrade later on to AAC when you get a can.

-Vic
    Last edited by Victory; 04-28-10 at 15:21.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Victory View Post

The like rychencop said, you do not want a muzzle brake for indoor use, unless you want to loose your hearing.

-Vic
    Haha! Probably true. Although I'd expect almost any discharge indoors w/o hearing protection (I doubt I'd have it in an emergency HD shooting) would be pretty bad for the ears.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Victory View Post
    The A2 is better than the Vortex? The Vortex ranks pretty high up on the flash reduction scale.

The best flash hider for flash reduction is the AAC Blackout. Well, as far as I know, anyway. I'm pretty sure 87GN did a video review comparing the A2 to the Vortex, then the Vortex to the Blackout. The Blackout had the least amount of flash.

I would stick with the Vortex, and maybe upgrade later on to AAC when you get a can.

-Vic
    no...there are better FH's out there than the A2. i was just thinking about keeping it simple. i think that the blackout did the best in 87's tests.
    Last edited by rychencop; 04-28-10 at 17:57.
    “If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Not familiar with CA. No cans, but are SBR's allowed?
    I've been thinking about this for my up and coming HD gun setup. In my limited experience with muzzle devices, you have three features: flash suppression, recoil control, and sound mitigation. As best as I can tell, you can pick any two of the above three.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    I'd go with a kx3 everything goes away from, no chance of getting blinded in low light situations.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    The only brake/comp I would consider firing indoors is the KAC Triple Tap but they are pretty spendy.

Anything else is going to rock your world inside. Even the PWS a lot of people are fond of has a pretty narly concussion even outdoors. The brake/flash hider combos still put out a big blast and flash.

I don't know why you would need a brake indoors anyways. The dot at room distances can't move more than a few inches per shot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    The only brake/comp I would consider firing indoors is the KAC Triple Tap but they are pretty spendy.

Anything else is going to rock your world inside. Even the PWS a lot of people are fond of has a pretty narly concussion even outdoors. The brake/flash hider combos still put out a big blast and flash.

I don't know why you would need a brake indoors anyways. The dot at room distances can't move more than a few inches per shot.
    Given the size of my house (it's tiny) I don't know if I'd even be hard on the dot before pressing the trigger! I see your point and agree, but as a previous response noted, one might hope for covering 2 bases out of 3 with a judicious gear choice.

The KX3 thing seems intriguing. Does it work to direct sound downrange? Does it do a good job with flash?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Troy's new claymore muzzle brake directs all blast forward and isn't as expensive and heavy as the KX3. I wouldn't expect it to have any flash suppressing performance.
    Last edited by Cagemonkey; 04-28-10 at 21:27.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast