Thread: Tr24 versus XTR 1x4 package

Feedback Score

Tr24 versus XTR 1x4 package

I'm trying to decide on an optic for my mp15. I have looked at this long and hard. There are 2 things I have made my mind up on.
    1. I want a 1x4.
    2. Decisions would be much simpler if money were no object , but it is so $900 for mounts and optics is my budjet.

I had just about pulled the trigger on the TR24 with the german crosshair and green dot with the Larue LT 104-30 mount for $884 plus shipping.

Then I came across a burris package deal containing the 1x4 XTR with a fast fire II and the PEPR mount for $879 pus shipping. So now I'm scratching my head again!

Anyone have any experience with the burris set up ? What about the PEPR mount ? I know it's not the Larue , but is it usable?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I use the Burris XTR 1-4x for 3gun. I've been T&E a Trijicon TR24 with the green triangle. I like the TR24 a little better. It's really nice glass, not a knock on the Burris I like it too. If given the choice and I didn't already own the Burris I'd surely by the Trijicon TR24.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Yea I still am thinking the Tr 24 is the better scope, but the free fast fire II and ring mount to go on the XTR kind of got me thinking again.

Feedback Score
    I don't do any competition shooting, so this is just my personal preference, but I like the reticle of the Burris more than the TR24. I do admit that the TR24 has better glass though. Basically you need to be able to find both of these scopes and look through them to see which one you like.

Feedback Score
    the Fast Fire II would have to be vastly improved over the Fast Fire I owned briefly (then gladly sold at tremendous loss) for it to sway me away from the Trijicon.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    the Fast Fire II would have to be vastly improved over the Fast Fire I owned briefly (then gladly sold at tremendous loss) for it to sway me away from the Trijicon.
    The Fast Fire seems like a pretty simple product, what about it didn't you like?

Feedback Score
    I don't have any experience with the 1. I did however pick up a FF 2 this spring to put on a turkey gun. This probably wouldn't be a sight that I would trust my life with , but for hunting ,target shooting or just casual shooting it's a pretty neat little sight. Everyone is making them that look almost idenical ( Leupold, Burris , Trijicon, Doctor, etc.). They are so small you hardly notice they are on the gun.

The one concern I had with the sight was the fact that the sight automically sets the brightness no way to manually control it. I see this as a posible problem although it hasn't been yet.

The 2 problems I have with the sight are.
    1. That it has to be removed from the mount to replace the batteries. Granted they say battery life can be 5 years. I wouldn't stake my life on it being my only sight.

2. The on / off switch is tiny and hard to access. Supposedly you can just put the cover over it thus putting it in sleep mode.

Feedback Score
    Both would be a good choice depending on you needs of reticle ETC. but the trij seems to have an edge glass wise and no batteries and in IMHO having the reflex sight on a 1x4 is kind of pointless i would go with just the XTR by itself sans fastfire.
    Last edited by scfast; 05-09-10 at 12:04.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX View Post
    The Fast Fire seems like a pretty simple product, what about it didn't you like?
    About a year ago I mounted it on a G19 and gave it a pretty good workout. Some of my issues with it may be limited to handgun use, but overall, it appeard to me to be an extremely "cheap" piece of gear.

The on/off switch was on the side of it and it was very easy to switch the sight off when using the slingshot method to release the slide. I think this would manifest itself in other applications as well, were the sight could easily be switched off by accident.

The "starburst" effect of the red dot was substantial vs Aimpoints and the EOTech I've had some time with.

Worst of all was the amount of "hunting" myself and one other experienced shooter who worked out with it had to do to find the dot in dynamic drills. This should not be an issue mounted on a long gun. But this has me pretty skeptical of the recent enthusiasm for MRDS on combat pistols. Perhaps the higher quality models are far easier to pick up quickly however I have seen a few experimenters mention they needed a fair amount of retraining to bring their pistol up in a manner such that they could pick up the dot quickly.

The original FF was not waterproof. I understand the new one is.
    Last edited by JHC; 05-10-10 at 15:30.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms