Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Art That Integrates Well With Firearms Training?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    IME it depends mostly not on the style but on the school and the instructors.

Look for teachers with a solid documented background and full contact sparring (yes, pads and spring floors), then speak with those instructors and ask about your concerns. Most any good school should allow you a couple classes to try it out.

The school I attend teaches TKD and Judo. Tuesday sights are self defense night. The alst half of the class works on incorporating movs from other disciplines, mutliple assailants, weapons, ect ect ect. The teachers are VERY good and are very interested in Self Defense. The primary firearms instructor I work with takes Judo there and they hold classes on weapons retention and diarms and we even just had a free seminar on MA as an adjunct to pistolcraft.

Most tarditional MA's will work, when taught and practiced properly. IMO the key is not to somehow combine the 2 (firearms and MA's) but to be able to use the MA to create the time and space to delpoy the gun, or to use as an alternative means of force.

Now intergrating knives, bats, ect with a MA...... that may be another discussion.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks. That's very helpful.

Feedback Score
    I just skimmed over this thread so apologies if I missed the 'gist' of it..but are you wanting a MA that incorporates 'Offensive' weapons techniques or 'Defensive' techniques?

Perhaps not the 'Coolest' MA with all the (IMHO largely BS) MMA stuff on TV..but Aikido is my MA of choice for many years Yoshinkai style..Chudokai Federation. I've been out for a while now and am preparing to get back in but I always found after trying several other MA's..Laugar kung-Fu and Shotokan Karate...then American Kempo here in the US (as is most of my Aikido training)..Aikido is simply IMHO (and YMMV)..the best practical self defense MA I have ever tried..great way to dominate an adversary without having to worry about the legalities of having smashed his face in...(although you can do that if you want to incorporate a little more of the Aiki-Jitsu element)..Great, Great knife and gun disarms...but of course no 'Offensive' stuff..unless you travel around with a Bokan, Kitana or a Bow-Staff

Any MA will greatly improve your motor skills, reflexes and coordination. i noticed it many years ago when I caught a vase and some other stuff before they hit the floor after knocking them off the counter!!
    ....."They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again; They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
    They have no lot in our labour of the day-time; They sleep beyond England's foam".....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SloaneRanger View Post
    I just skimmed over this thread so apologies if I missed the 'gist' of it..but are you wanting a MA that incorporates 'Offensive' weapons techniques or 'Defensive' techniques?

Perhaps not the 'Coolest' MA with all the (IMHO largely BS) MMA stuff on TV..but Aikido is my MA of choice for many years Yoshinkai style..Chudokai Federation. I've been out for a while now and am preparing to get back in but I always found after trying several other MA's..Laugar kung-Fu and Shotokan Karate...then American Kempo here in the US (as is most of my Aikido training)..Aikido is simply IMHO (and YMMV)..the best practical self defense MA I have ever tried..great way to dominate an adversary without having to worry about the legalities of having smashed his face in...(although you can do that if you want to incorporate a little more of the Aiki-Jitsu element)..Great, Great knife and gun disarms...but of course no 'Offensive' stuff..unless you travel around with a Bokan, Kitana or a Bow-Staff

Any MA will greatly improve your motor skills, reflexes and coordination. i noticed it many years ago when I caught a vase and some other stuff before they hit the floor after knocking them off the counter!!
    Ever fight someone while using Aikido techniques?

Feedback Score
    Kali, or any of the Filipino arts. It is weapons-based (club, baton, blade)and translates very well to empty-hand. There is a reason CQC training in militaries around the world are heavily influenced by it.
    Just my .02

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks. I'll look into those as well.

As far as the question of whether I'm looking for a martial art that incorporates offensive or defensive techniques, I'd have to say, "Yes." The fact is, I don't know enough about martial arts to tell you what I'm looking for in that regard. I know that I'm a fan of the KISS principle. I also know that, for me, with pistol handling techniques, and based upon what little I remember from training years ago, with martial arts, the building blocks concept works well. I like skill sets that build on and reinforce each other. Which is pretty much what got me thinking to ask the first question I posted. Thanks to all for your input.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Aikido for the win!
    I have studied it for about 7-8 years, and feel it has some skills that are a plus when fighting with a weapon.
    1, You can create space for you, not the bad guy.
    2, Retention, ever try to take somthing from a person who know's aikido?
    3, The principles are close with those of firearms, so people who practice with them can move to aikido without fundamental differences in they way they work with the body.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've yet to see an Aikido practitioner do well when matched against another MA. BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo, and Karate would all be better choices. Most importantly, become well rounded. No good being great on the ground if bad at stand up and vice versa.

As far as incorporating firearms into training it may be that you have to do this on your own. Almost any dojo has open mat time that may allow you to do this.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the Guncatta from the movie Equilibrium.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    LOL Maybe I should try that one out.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast