Thread: Weights/dimensions for M4 vs. M4A1 SOCOM barrel

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Weights/dimensions for M4 vs. M4A1 SOCOM barrel

Anyone know the profile dimensions and weight in ounces of an M4 barrel, and also an M4A1 barrel, stripped?
    Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 05-07-10 at 04:30.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    A stripped Colt 14.5" M4 barrel weighs approximately 1 pound, 9 ounces. I haven't weighed the SOCOM barrel yet.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thank you Molon!

I was debating wether to get one of the new Lightweight barrels coming out, or just get another Centurion midweight, and wondered if the Centurion was about the same as the SOCOM, or sort of in-between (the profile looks slimmer than the SOCOM). According the website, the Centurion weighs about 1 lb. 15 oz., though I have not weighed mine, which would make it only 6 oz. heavier than the M4....not sure if that is enough extra weight to worry about.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I went ahead and got the Centurion midweight....but I'd still love to find out how much the M4A1 barrel weighs! I scoured the interwebs only to find nothing!

Feedback Score
    it weighs 5 oz. more than the regular M4 barrel, whatever that is

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/...and-m4a1-guns/

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    My 14.5" SOCOM is much heavier feeling than my 16" M4 profile... that uber thick one is a tank, and at length I've realized I have no real use for the added thickness unless I get around to buying a three-hole lower.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It looks like that SOCOM is a lot thicker than my Centurion midweight (which is .750" under the handguards).

Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 06-20-10 at 23:31.