Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Meth is a terrible thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    soooo, the fix is what then?
    I don't know.

I do agree that a person should be able to do to themselves what they want, but I've seen both meth and heroin affect much more than the user time and time again. Unless the stuff is free (which no way in hell would I support food stamp cards for meth) then these people will always victimize to get their fix.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
    1. So do you and it's nice to have an intelligent debate/conversation rather than just throwing out the established dogma.

2. Shouldn't we just outlaw everything that is possibly ingestible that has a negative impact on a person's thought process? What about all the prescription drugs that have far greater side effects than illegal drugs? Prescription drugs are abused at an alarming number and yet rarely thought of in the war on drugs. People will huff gas, paint, glue, etc. to get their fix of whatever they're looking for no matter what laws you make.

3. Unless they've harmed another person or their property than all the hypotheticals are just that, hypothetical. Once the person has committed a crime against another person then they should be punished accordingly.

4. There are already laws in place to deal with a person who is inebriated who causes harm to a person or property. More laws do not make for a safer society. Why don't we set speed limiters in cars so that they can't exceed the speed limit? Texting, reading, eating, putting on make up are all major distractors when driving as well, should they be outlawed?

If marijuana is a gate way drug to "harder" drugs than drugs themselves are a gate way to the White House, ask our last 3 Presidents. Gotta run and get some work done...
    2. We can't just outlaw everything that is possibly ingestible that has a negative impact on a person's thought process because when used properly (as intended) those prescription drugs do a lot of good for a lot people everyday across the country.

3. We can say we're talking about hypotheticals, but we all know that it does happen. Not a day goes by that someone isn't injured or killed by a drunk driver. The same can be said in regards to other drug related/motivated incidents - they happen in public. So the druggies and drunks are not keeping their private activities private.

4. I agree, more laws will not make for a safer society. It is the people that need modification. If people can only be persuaded through education or force, what are we to do? If we are making these substances illegal due to them being hazardous to the population in general, what are we to do to those individuals who knowingly endanger those around them? You can try to educate, but when that fails you move on to plan B - punishment.

In regards to the speed limiter idea in all cars (I know you hate that idea Mr. 335 ) There may be a time when you need to exceed the speed limit. I know it is against the law-which is imposed for our safety, but I can think of emergency situations where the ability to go faster than those around you is necessary. I can't think of a time when abusing meth or crack is necessary.

As for making it illegal to text, read, eat, & put on make-up while driving. I think some of those already are illegal where I live. Texting is for sure illegal, and I think reading is as well - and I have no problem with that. Eating should be too (just for the sake of your interior )!

And the discussion of those getting into the White House is a whole new thread, brother!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Marijuana should atleast be legal. It's a victimless crime. There are way more deaths caused by drunks than someone who is high. You can drink to alcohol poisoning but can't smoke your self to death. When alcohol was illegal during the prohibition look at what happened. It created the mobs, rum runners, and speakeasys where the underground bar owners would cut the alcohol with toxic things to make more money. I believe the main drug comming across the mexican boarder is also marijuana. If we could grow our own, it would create jobs and make importing it pointless. Also, it being illegal would make room in the jails for violent offenders.

The only problem i see is you do have to draw the line somewhere. If weed was legal, the drug dealers/smugglers would move to some other drug. But the line should be moved to a drug that actually is harmful to your health and worth the combating the drawbacks that I mentioned above^.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Nova View Post
    In regards to the speed limiter idea in all cars (I know you hate that idea Mr. 335 )

And the discussion of those getting into the White House is a whole new thread, brother!
    Good discussion with what I believe are some very valid points on both sides. We could probably go another 5 pages and never fully agree but I do respect and understand your position, and I do agree with a lot of it from a practical sense. Most of what I would add to this discussion is just reiterating what I wrote in Post #46 in different ways.

My position is that freedom in it's truest form is often misunderstood by a lot of people and people should have the right to trash their own bodies and get high on whatever they want in a free country. Once they infringe on another's rights than there should be punishment according to the crime i.e. murder, stealing, etc.

Over 50% of the people in federal prisons are in there for drug offenses and are non-violent offenders. The cost of the drug war along with incarcerating these people and the associated costs with prosecuting them is mind boggling. We are the "freest country in the world" according to many and yet we have the highest percentage of people incarcerated per capita, the two don't match up.

And the quoted part... I wish it were like the old Montana where daytime driving speed limits were set at "reasonable & prudent" since I tend to drive that way anyway. Thank you Mr. Valentine

The White House shot was an attempt at sarcastic humor.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456