Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: KAC SR15, worth it?

Feedback Score
    The SR15 is sexy kit. I'm not entirely sure about the price, but the buyer is getting one solid carbine at the end of it all.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    The SR15 is sexy kit. I'm not entirely sure about the price, but the buyer is getting one solid carbine at the end of it all.
    What's there not to be sure of?

BCM BFH 16" Upper Receiver Group w/ Knight Armament Company URX II $1150
    BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto $140
    BCM4 Lower Receiver Group $360
    LMT SOPMOD Stock $200
    KAC Trigger P/N 98032 $320
    KAC Flip-Up Rear Sight 200-600 Meter $200

that's $2,370 without the E3 features.

It can, be made similar (again without E3 or ambo) for less, quoting myself from here

Finally, when pricing these things you need to make sure you're comparing apples:apples. You need to start with a BCM BFH 16" w/ DD Lite 12.0 at $949 (note that BCM does sell their uppers with the KAC URX but it's $300 more. From there you need to add a BCM BCG for $150, a charging handle for $20+/-, and a set of MBUS (since we're going on the cheap) for $100. That gets you to $1220 for a complete upper.

Moving to the lower, you're going to start with a BCM at $330 without stock, add an Emod for $120 (going for that "same function, reduced cost, the SOPMOD is another $80), and a Geissele AR15 Super Semi-Automatic Trigger for $170. That brings you to $620 for the complete lower and up to $1840 for the complete gun. Bearing in mind that you still aren't getting the E3 features.

I found a KAC SR15 listed on Gunsamerica for $2200, which is a $350 premium over the package above. What you're getting for that premium is the E3 bolt features, the ambi lower controls, and what is probably a lighter package overall. Put a set of Troy BUIS and the SOPMOD stock on the BCM and you narrow that gap even more.
    Last edited by rob_s; 05-09-10 at 06:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What's there not to be sure of?
    The value is not the issue. It's the sticker shock and if I am willing to drop $2300 on an AR15

I was just holding an SR15 the other day. I was instantly enamored with it. Since, I'm been evaluating firearms to ditch to help fund acquiring one.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The value is not the issue. It's the sticker shock and if I am willing to drop $2300 on an AR15

I was just holding an SR15 the other day. I was instantly enamored with it. Since, I'm been evaluating firearms to ditch to help fund acquiring one.
    Well, like I said, it's only a good value if it combines features that you want. While I absolutely love the gun, I've gone back to a more minimalist approach on my personal guns and so the SR15 would only sit in the safe if I bought one.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thanks everyone for the input. Guess Im unsure about filet mignon because everyday I eat hamburger, seems I dont know what I am missing. You make a great point with the proprietary parts that should be bought & stored for future replacement. Thanks for the links, I still have more articles to read but I think this might be the year of the SR15.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)

A few places are selling them at $1999 now. With shipping, and my dealer transfer fee it was less than 2100 OTD.

I asked the question a while ago but never got an answer. I know a standard AR15 bolt cycles just fine in the E3 barrel ext, and Im wondering if a standard bolt would then be able to fire just fine too. Curios of KAC ever has done any testing on this.

Feedback Score
    I dont even like shooting my other ARs since I got my SR15s.

They are worth it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    A few places are selling them at $1999 now. With shipping, and my dealer transfer fee it was less than 2100 OTD.

I asked the question a while ago but never got an answer. I know a standard AR15 bolt cycles just fine in the E3 barrel ext, and Im wondering if a standard bolt would then be able to fire just fine too. Curios of KAC ever has done any testing on this.
    Are you sure about that? I was under the impression the CARRIER was a standard one with the bolt being proprietary...

Also, arent the cam pins enlarged on the SR15's? Would this prevent the use of a standard AR carrier?

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Are you sure about that? I was under the impression the CARRIER was a standard one with the bolt being proprietary...

Also, arent the cam pins enlarged on the SR15's? Would this prevent the use of a standard AR carrier?

No the bolt carrier is the same as a standard AR15. The cam pin, and bolt are the proprietary parts. The cam pin is smaller diameter where it goes into the bolt so the bolt is actually thicker. One of the big weak points in the standard bolt is the cam pin cut out area so obviously having it thicker with the E3 bolt will reduce the chance of failure. The 2nd major weakness is in the lugs on the bolt itself. The E3's lugs are rounded which adds additional strength.

What I was talking about using a standard bolt in the E3 barrel extension. I put a standard BCG in mine, and it certainly cycles just fine. I was wondering if KAC or anyone else ever tested this so a standard bolt can be used if absolutely needed. Im not about to guinea pig a 2k gun but I thought maybe KAC got a hair up the butt, and shot a standard bolt in any of their testing.

Feedback Score
    Not compatible , will not work. E3 bolt assy ,cam pin,firing pin and bbl extension are only compatible with each other .
    C Reed Knight III
    Knight's Armament Co.
    http://www.knightarmco.com/

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast