Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: KAC SR15, worth it?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Without question, I feel the KAC SR-15 E3 is worth every penny. Other than all it comes with out of the box, one of the best things about the SR-15 IMHO is how friggin' light it is when outfitted with the necessary accessories (in my case an aimpoint T-1, Surefire X300, MS2 sling and KAC handstop [now replaced with Larue FUG per my personal preference]).

The second best thing is how smooth the recoil (or lack thereof) is, especially when you add a muzzle brake to the carbine (doesn't need to be a Triple Tap brake by any means, a PWS FSC556 will certainly do the job, but I do love the TTB). I've yet to find any other carbine that recoils as smooth as the SR-15, nor one that I can fire as fast and completely maintain accuracy.

There's only 2 things I can think of that suck about the SR-15. The first is that since the barrel is so darn thin, if you're maintaining a very high rate of fire, especially in carbine classes, the rail gets so hot (even with the XTM rail covers I use) that it's hard to hold onto it with your bare support hand. In the summertime it's even worse. However, I personally consider that negative aspect to be completely voided by the fact that the gun is so damn lightweight. It's a give and take, and the extra heat is completely worth it IMHO. I just pull a Michael Jackson and wear a single glove on my support hand. People will give you shit about it until you outshoot the hell out of them... that tends to shut them up quickly

The other downside is the QD sockets in the lower. They're worthless. If you utilize them, they WILL cause the sling/sling swivel to get in the way of your thumb when activating the safety. And they unfortunately block the "ears" of the Magpul ASAP receiver end plate, causing you to have to cut the ears off in order to install one (thanks Titleist!). It's one of those things that sound great in theory, but fail in reality. If they could somehow magically be a little further back, they would kick serious ass. It's actually frustrating to me that they didn't work out for me, because I think the concept is really cool. Oh well.

Anyhoo, as with the heat issue, the rear QD issue (once again, IMHO) is voided out by the fact that it's SO lightweight and SO smooth to shoot.

Oh BTW, did I already mention it's light and smooth to shoot with hardly any recoil??

Here she is on the scale:

Compared to a 10.5" SBR I had at one time. Less than a 1 ounce difference, pretty crazy:

I will be wearing this shirt to my next Magpul carbine class. **** yeah:

S/F
    Paul

Feedback Score
    Lightness is goodness.

Im thinking about taking the heat shield out..... But that might be going a little crazy on lightening it.
    Last edited by RustedAce; 05-09-10 at 23:37.

Feedback Score
    The KAC SR-15 E3 and the LWRCi M6A3 (a KAC with a piston, and without the ambidextrous lower receiver, in my opinion.) are the best AR-15 rifles on the market, IMHO. Don't listen to anybody who says otherwise.

If you have the money, the KAC will see you through a shitstorm.

ETA: I made this post before I knew better - months ago.

The LWRCi doesn't even compare.
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 11-19-10 at 13:02.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Are any of the sling swivel sockets rotation-limited?

Feedback Score
    I got rid of most of my other AR's, including a Colt 6920 once I got my SR15. I love the gun, and plan on getting another one or 2 if funds permit.

I added a Magpul MIAD grip, UBR stock, Nightforce 1-4 in LaRue mount, and LaRue FUG(and Vickers sling).
    Just need to put on a brake and I'm finished.
    Last edited by wicked_police; 05-29-10 at 02:51.
    I AM a CanadianGunSlinger!!!!!!

Cede Nullis

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by III View Post
    Not compatible , will not work. E3 bolt assy ,cam pin,firing pin and bbl extension are only compatible with each other .
    Can we order these parts from Knights to get spares?
    Have Fun, Be Safe

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    At a recent class I attended a SR-15 E3 didn't go beyond first training day due to multiple FTF. I didn't dwell on that with owner, and I am only assuming that mags or ammo were not at fault since the same ammo and mags worked perfectly fine in his back-up gun.
    I think that Titleist here also had initial problems with his E3.

This is certainly not a statement of overall reliability of these rifles en masse, but more of philosophical question that I've reflected on since getting into 1911 field. You have all those semi-custom brands that go for 2-2.5K apiece. Making a full size 1911 to run 100% with good ammo and mags is not an art, it is actually almost formulaic. Yet we hear report of those expensive pistols fail, or ship with broken parts etc. This only tells me that the extra 1-1.5K (over basic pistol) is not spend first and foremost on making sure that feed ramp is right, extractor tension is correct, chamber is up to spec etc, but on fit and finish and feature set etc.
    I can't help but see some similarity here. KAC's is a beautiful rifle with great feature set. I actually think that the price is a very good deal given the features. The question is whether we should expect every specimen of 2.2K rifles run 100%, or accept a position "everything man-made will fail at times".
    Last edited by YVK; 05-29-10 at 08:59. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    At a recent class I attended a SR-15 E3 didn't go beyond first training day due to multiple FTF.

It could certainly be a weapon issue, it could be ammunition or user issues as well. The problem with second hand info is that we will never know.

Any idea what ammo he was using?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    It could certainly be a weapon issue, it could be ammunition or user issues as well. The problem with second hand info is that we will never know.

Any idea what ammo he was using?
    Stickman, your points are well taken. I should've asked about ammo, but didn't. The fellow was a very solid shooter. AI at that class was very experienced with platform, and he ran that rifle through series of checks without much answers.
    The most convincing point to me is that the same shooter shot the same ammo using the same mags through a different rifle for the remaining two days of class without problems.

Your point on second hand info is well taken too; since I've witnessed that with my own eyes and not read it somewhere I feel it is not unethical for me to mention that. The owner of a gun is not a member here and he hasn't posted a complete AAR. If he chooses to do so, I'll either hyperlink it or quote it. Perhaps, he is in communications with KAC. I am sure that this issue would be resolved by owner and KAC; I only hope that we will have some info on that as it certainly attracted attention of instructors and students of that class as well as members of a board frequented by the owner.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Stickman, your points are well taken. I should've asked about ammo, but didn't. The fellow was a very solid shooter. AI at that class was very experienced with platform, and he ran that rifle through series of checks without much answers.
    The most convincing point to me is that the same shooter shot the same ammo using the same mags through a different rifle for the remaining two days of class without problems.

Your point on second hand info is well taken too; since I've witnessed that with my own eyes and not read it somewhere I feel it is not unethical for me to mention that. The owner of a gun is not a member here and he hasn't posted a complete AAR. If he chooses to do so, I'll either hyperlink it or quote it. Perhaps, he is in communications with KAC. I am sure that this issue would be resolved by owner and KAC; I only hope that we will have some info on that as it certainly attracted attention of instructors and students of that class as well as members of a board frequented by the owner.

Do you know how many rounds he had through the gun before attending this class? Or if the gun worked fine before, and just started having issues?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast