Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: KAC SR15, worth it?

Feedback Score

KAC vrs LMT Play in the upper

This is a great thread! I am in the market for a 16" mid length and my local shoot straight had the KAC SR15 and LMT's (dont know the model number) similar mid length rifle in stock so I was able to handle both. I noticed a slight looseness between the upper and lower on the SR15. Is this common with all KAC rifles? I know ARs tend to loosen up after many rounds but thought it was strange that it already had play in it. The LMT felt much more solid but lacked the features I love about the KAC. Has anyone else been able to A /B the rifles. Also the LMT was about 500 bucks cheaper but shoot straight is pretty over priced as they wanted $2500 for the KAC and 2000 for the LMT
    the other mid length I was considering was a BCM build but after the dust settles would be at the same price and wonder which would be the most reliable and accurate. I plan to mostly shoot the Federal .223 or X193 5.56 55 gr stuff as its pretty available and reasonably priced.
    Thanks!!!!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by onado2000 View Post
    I have several tier 2 & 3 AR 15s, LMT is my #1 . I want to buy a KAC SR15, a Colt 6920 and a BCM 16" mid-length. I am looking to replace the #1 slot with one of these 3. I really like the KAC (I like all 3 really, but only can afford 1 now). What does the KAC SR15 offer that the others dont? The cost of the SR15 is about the same as the BCM 16" & 6920 combined. Any advice
    Just warm up the CC and get a SR15, a Colt and a BCM. They're all great choices!
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have some SR15 uppers on order. Looking forward to trying it out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    I have some SR15 uppers on order. Looking forward to trying it out.
    The KAC lowers are kick ass.

I thought about just getting uppers at one point, but the complete guns are so much better
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brian556 View Post
    This is a great thread! I am in the market for a 16" mid length and my local shoot straight had the KAC SR15 and LMT's (dont know the model number) similar mid length rifle in stock so I was able to handle both. I noticed a slight looseness between the upper and lower on the SR15. Is this common with all KAC rifles? I know ARs tend to loosen up after many rounds but thought it was strange that it already had play in it. The LMT felt much more solid but lacked the features I love about the KAC. Has anyone else been able to A /B the rifles. Also the LMT was about 500 bucks cheaper but shoot straight is pretty over priced as they wanted $2500 for the KAC and 2000 for the LMT
    the other mid length I was considering was a BCM build but after the dust settles would be at the same price and wonder which would be the most reliable and accurate. I plan to mostly shoot the Federal .223 or X193 5.56 55 gr stuff as its pretty available and reasonably priced.
    Thanks!!!!
    My SR15 has a little play between the upper and lower. Not enough to worry about however. I don't know if it is representative of all SR15s as I have handled some that had a tighter and some that had a more loose fit.

Feedback Score
    My 11'' is a bit loose, the other two are about as tight as most Colts.

Which would be pretty tight, but a little play.
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 11-20-10 at 18:13.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Integral flip up front sight on the URX rail has to be eliminated.

It prevents the mounting of a light at 12 oclock and I don't like the round hood of this front sight.

Lame.

This rail would be the best on the market if this was eliminated and the sling sockets were anti rotation.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Integral flip up front sight on the URX rail has to be eliminated.

It prevents the mounting of a light at 12 oclock and I don't like the round hood of this front sight.

Lame.

This rail would be the best on the market if this was eliminated and the sling sockets were anti rotation.
    Agreed.

Solution: Old URX rails?
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    I don't understand what prevents mounting a light on the 12. Please explain . Anti rotation has been incorporated on the new design but it will be a long time untill they hit the market . Once we get a low cost wrench going we may put out some standard industry midlengths . Don't really see a big market for that kind of stuff right now.

As far as gas port sizes go ..... Our guns are ported for a range of ammo , not just milspec. I would say that over ported guns will have just as much of a problem with hot loads as our guns have with weak loads ; especially suppressed. It's all a bit of a compromise . There is a tendency lately to go towards hotter ammo to get the velocities up in shorter bbls. I would say that I would have a hard time believing our gun will not run more than 90% of the ammo out there after it is broken in that runs reliably in any other gun.if you want to start bringing extractor spring replacement and suppressed fire into the mix I will put our gun up against any gun on the market for reliability . It is also not a custom gun, it is also almost entirely manufactured and assembled in our factory . We have been in the gun business for 20 something years and we are not going anywhere anytime soon. We are perhaps the largest US small arms manufacturing company owned and ran by a single person who you can call and talk to on the phone (on occasion) .

Say what you want about the SR-15 E3, I know exactly what the gun is capable of because we have fired them to destruction . I would put it up against any gun out there.
    C Reed Knight III
    Knight's Armament Co.
    http://www.knightarmco.com/

Feedback Score
    III

''we may put out some standard industry midlengths''

Rail Systems or guns? A rifle in standard midlength would be a step backwards, IMHO. Your battle rifle gas tube is pure win, and is the smoothest I've ever shot.

I have a question, hopefully you can answer it. (I have a feeling that you wont, due to SHOT show being close. But it can't hurt.)

Will a factory 14.5'' E3 gun ever happen?

Thank you for all that you guys at KAC do.
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 11-20-10 at 20:26.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast