Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forge markings on Uppers?

Feedback Score
    Who does this forge marking belong to?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by urbankaos04 View Post
    Who does this forge marking belong to?

According to a lower manufacturer I spoke with, that is the forge mark for Brass Aluminum Forgings:

http://www.baforging.com/

Supposedly the only places that are making AR forgings currently are Brass Aluminum, Cerro and Anchor Harvey. I don't know if Cardinal and Alcoa are still making them. I haven't seen uppers with those forge marks in quite some time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde View Post
    According to a lower manufacturer I spoke with, that is the forge mark for Brass Aluminum Forgings:

http://www.baforging.com/

Supposedly the only places that are making AR forgings currently are Brass Aluminum, Cerro and Anchor Harvey. I don't know if Cardinal and Alcoa are still making them. I haven't seen uppers with those forge marks in quite some time.
    I just bought a new Colt 6920 Upper, and it has this square forge mark on the right side of the carry handle. The upper reciever has the key hole forge with a "C" stamped to the left of it.

Feedback Score
    I think out of sheer curiosity, it would be interesting to have an at-a-glance chart of how many suppliers some of the more prominent makers got their upper receivers from, then check the dates, and compare that to the political climate of the time. Yeah, I know, keep my mouth shut, but it still would be interesting to see.

Feedback Score
    The cardinal forge mark is what Ive seen the most of from various assemblers.
    Last edited by Blankwaffe; 08-22-09 at 20:43.
    -Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
    -Be brave and upright that God may love thee.
    -Speak the truth always,even if it leads to your death.
    -Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. Gerald R. Ford

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde View Post
    My LMT was QC checked on 12-30-08 and has a cardinal mark on the upper receiver.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also Have a Colt upper marked with a "C" and a keyhole to the right of it

Feedback Score
    I don't see any forge marks on my Mega... what forge leaves no marks?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Those are both Cerro forgings (unknown who does Bushmasters or S&Ws finish machining).
    I know who does S&W. :-)

C4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    My LMT was QC checked on 12-30-08 and has a cardinal mark on the upper receiver.
    my lmt was checked on 02-11-2009 and is marked as Cardinal.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    My upper has no forge marks in the regular spot, however, there is one single, solitary dot UNDER the front of the forward assist, anyone know what this might mean? I was told this upper was off of a Colt lower (but couldn't be imported to the Evil Empire of California).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_fireman19 View Post
    My upper has no forge marks in the regular spot, however, there is one single, solitary dot UNDER the front of the forward assist, anyone know what this might mean? I was told this upper was off of a Colt lower (but couldn't be imported to the Evil Empire of California).
    Is it a raised dot or a hollow dot? If it is hollow, as in punched in, it is probably just from being tested for hardness.

Dammit! should have looked at the dates.....
    Last edited by 86K5; 11-24-10 at 06:39. Reason: Zombie thread

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    my daniel defense has the square forge mark

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fivefivesix View Post
    my daniel defense has the square forge mark
    my DD does too. So, its Brass Aluminum Forging...i guess......

Now, does DD machine out the upper or is it complete b4 it gets to DD besides anodizing?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My 1st AR (DoubleStar) has the keyhole and its interesting because its Cerro Forge which they have/had a plant about 20 min south of me in Brave, PA. I had some friends that worked there, i wonder if my upper was made right down the road. haha doubt it bc i think they have many branches.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

C Stamp

I just got two BCM lowers. They both have a "C" impression stamped on the front of the mag well. Anybody know what that means? Seems to have been done after anodizing.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hals1 View Post
    I just got two BCM lowers. They both have a "C" impression stamped on the front of the mag well. Anybody know what that means? Seems to have been done after anodizing.
    ==================

Would the "C" be for a Cosmetic 2nd Lower?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    ==================

Would the "C" be for a Cosmetic 2nd Lower?

Probably. It's a blem. $90 off though; well worth it. I can't find the blem on one, Super Black fixed the other.

Thanks urct

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have cut Achor, Cardinal and BA

BA is the nicest IMO, they clean/replace there dies more often they also clean the forging better before shiiping it out. Thats important because they catch forgings that have blems like voids and such.

BA has been doing these for a while but in the last year have become every one favorite to cut. There is no subsitute for QC.
    Last edited by DSZM4; 12-01-10 at 06:28.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSZM4 View Post
    I have cut Achor, Cardinal and BA

BA is the nicest IMO, they clean/replace there dies more often they also clean the forging better before shiiping it out. Thats important because they catch forgings that have blems like voids and such.

BA has been doing these for a while but in the last year have become every one favorite to cut. There is no subsitute for QC.
    Is the BA your talking about "Brass Aluminum Forging" with the "square" marked upper???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast