Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage AR and Clone pic thread.....

Feedback Score
    My 100% factory original Colt AR15 Model 639 and Colt M16A1 Carbine. Both were acquired before the insanity hit:

My 639 with a custom Rick Kuehl shorty upper built on a Colt 9mm upper:

Original Aeromarine shipping box and label. My Colt M16A1 carbine with my Model 639:

Green Easter Basket type box filler:

Original factory accessories contained within the box. The 20 round magazine has a .223 marked floor plate:

My 639 was shipped within a standard Colt anti corrosion plastic bag:

Manuals contained within the box:

And finally my Colt M16A1 Carbine over my Model 639. The black gizmo between the weapons is a snap on/off spent case deflector;
    Last edited by mg34_dan; 10-16-19 at 18:06. Reason: Change foto-suck-it photo links to postimg.
    “Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
    – Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In one word, SWEEEEET!

You are one very fortunate man.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    My goodness...
    I agree. And I'm especially impressed by the fact that you still have all the things it came with, all of which, seem to be in pretty good condition, packaging and all. Almost seems like you felt the ban and the eventual insane prices coming.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    My goodness...
    I agree. And I'm especially impressed by the fact that you still have all the things it came with, all of which, seem to be in pretty good condition, packaging and all. Almost seems like you felt the ban and the eventual insane prices coming.
    I got the 639 from a large C3 dealer in Dallas in 2000. He just wanted to flip it and made me a descent, not great, deal on it. I have been collecting weapons for years and knew original paperwork and accessories add tremendously to an item's value. I paid him a few bucks more than he initially wanted so he would jump on my offer and not shop it around. The whole deal hinged on keeping everything together in one neat package.

The 'A1 Carbine came from a Virginia C3 dealer who was closing down his business in 2000. He told me it came out of a Virginia police department. That's all I know about it.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, i don't know what i was thinking. I somehow misunderstood and thought you had acquired it pre-86 and managed to keep everything it came with in great condition. Very cool nonetheless.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    Sorry, i don't know what i was thinking. I somehow misunderstood and thought you had acquired it pre-86 and managed to keep everything it came with in great condition. Very cool nonetheless.
    I wish I bought it pre-'86, but sadly I did not. The Dallas dealer told me he got it from the original retail owner and it was a complete package. I was able to locate the original owner. He is now a retired Texas Sheriff and bought the 639 when he was still in office and didn't use it very much. In '86 I was still living in Hawaii and couldn't purchase it even if I wanted to.

Feedback Score
    Very cool that you went as far as tracking down the original owner. Nice story to attach to an already nice find by itself. Looking forward to seeing more of your toys.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerFish View Post
    That commando is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    I always wanted a Colt Model 605, which was the first production carbine for the AR15 line-up. The history on these guns is that they were part of the Colt CAR-15 family of weapons, this one being the Infantry Leader's Carbine. It used a shorter barrel to help keep the overall profile of the gun more or less out of the way, while still bringing enough velocity to the table. They also introduced the standard infantry rifle Model 603 (XM16E1 and M16A1), belt-fed HBAR Light Support Weapon with bipod, Commando 607, and USAF Survival Carbine Model 608.

What plagued the Model 605 was the lack of dwell time, which reared its head in cold weather and on AUTO. A lesser known variant of the Model 605 is the 605B, with 4-way fire control group, consisting of SAFE, AUTO, SEMI, and BURST. The cool thing about the 605B's FCG is that you can naturally go from low ready to high ready into either AUTO or BURST, as the selector has a relief cut under the lever so that it clears the stops that normally keep the rotational axis on a 270 degree limit. I have a 605B project in the works based off an 80%.

I used a NoDak NDS-XM16E1 partial fence lower, original slickside hard chrome bolt carrier, Type D stock, and a take off barrel from a ban-era SP-1 abortion that had a muzzle break pinned and welded. The nice thing is that it has a smooth FSB with the forge flashing removed and polished. I used NIC H Series Sniper Gray to coat the upper so it would match the lower better, with somewhat of a weathered patina.

I didn't open the gas port from .094" like some have had to do, and wanted to see if it would run the way it is on M193. I left a little more barrel length for some dwell time, since 16" RLGS guns seem to run well when gassed with M193, and I confirmed that it does in fact cycle just fine this way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    First, thank you Joseph Doucett.

Second, VERY COOL gun and great research LRRPF52.

I call mine the "Little Bastard", it is 90%+ Colt... save for the HB, FSB, and shorty triangle FHG.

I put it together from an M16A1 upper & lower rec., with the complete upper assembled by American Spirit Arms (Scottsdale, AZ) with their barrel & FSB. They tested it for correct FA timing. Since it rarely gets too cold in the Sonoran desert I'm not too worried about FTFFA. It is a hoot to shoot.

Its little Jewish buddy likes to go out in the desert too. With a heavy bolt it runs the 9mm out @ 780 RPM vs 1100 RPM.
    Last edited by TriggerFish; 10-15-14 at 15:32.

Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast