Page 28 of 57 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage AR and Clone pic thread.....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Gotta love a nice 723.

That looks great.
    Are my eyes deceiving me or is that barrel .750 at the gas block? I ask because I'm going a similar route with a build out of necessity (I couldn't locate any .625 14.5" barrels so I went with a DD CHF 14.5 lightweight barrel, which now have .750 gas block journals) and calling it an early C8/Colt 725 clone, as apparently they had such a barrel configuration. Yours is actually the best reference I've found yet for what I want to put together.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 03-17-16 at 17:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    That looks great.
    Are my eyes deceiving me or is that barrel .750 at the gas block? I ask because I'm going a similar route with a build out of necessity (I couldn't locate any .625 14.5" barrels so I went with a DD CHF 14.5 lightweight barrel, which now have .750 gas block journals) and calling it an early C8/Colt 725 clone, as apparently they had such a barrel configuration. Yours is actually the best reference I've found yet for what I want to put together.
    It is .750" at the gas block. I used a Model 1 Sales 16" 1/9 lightweight barrel assembly and had the barrel cut down to 14.7" and had an A2 FH pinned and welded. I was not too concerned about being 100% correct. The upper is a C H marked Colt.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I realized I never posted pics of my 'modern retro' rifle in this thread.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post

Very Cool. I like the 550 cord mod. Those were very popular when I was in too.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post

That's Awesome, Winner in my book

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is a pic that depicts some of the history and progression of the M16s. These are my clones.

From left to right: Model 602, Model 603/XM16E1 (late version), Model 603/M16A1 (early 1970s), Model 604 (Air Force issue), M16A2, and M16A4

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerFish View Post
    Two Classic Beauties.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Here is a pic that depicts some of the history and progression of the M16s. These are my clones.

From left to right: Model 602, Model 603/XM16E1 (late version), Model 603/M16A1 (early 1970s), Model 604 (Air Force issue), M16A2, and M16A4

Very Nice Renegade04

Quote Originally Posted by Trimdad View Post

Colt mod 633 DOE
    Very Cool. Did you have the DOE upper built or is it an original. Is that a modified Uzi Mag? How do you like them? Are you using a Hanh mag block? I don't see any roll pins in the Mag Well.

Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    I don't know if the 80's count as vintage, but here's my 733 clone made of Colt, Noveske, and LMT parts. I freakin' love this thing.

Oh Hell Yes it Does. This is an awesome SBR.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 03-23-16 at 09:19.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    I don't know if the 80's count as vintage, but here's my 733 clone made of Colt, Noveske, and LMT parts. I freakin' love this thing.

Very nice. I built the A2 version a few months ago. DD 11.5" Gov't profile barrel (assembly done by ADCO Firearms), Model 1 Sales buttstock assembly, DS Arms M16 BCG, and a DPMS A2 lower (SBR's it about 8 years ago). The A2 upper is one I had laying around. This thing shoots great.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I didn't realize a co worker messed with my MagPul. He asked what it was. I explained and he moved it up on the magazine while looking at it.

I did not realize how much I missed my A2 until today. Picking it up and carrying it brought me back. It felt so natural in my hands. I missed my old friend. I also realized how damn long the rifle is. Especially after so many years years of M4's & SBR's. I'm looking forward to sighting it in this weekend. I need a bayonet!

I noticed the way I have my sling in is different than the OP's set up and several others. The keeper always went to the top when I used them and the J Hook to the stock. I could see where the J Hook might be removed to quiet it up but what the reason behind having the keeper at the stock end?

Being a big kid at heart I tried Inspection Arms. It worked out ok. I am surprised I still had the muscle memory after all these years. My DI would not have been impressed but it made me smile. I tried to remember the count we used for timing but could not. The Norgon Ambi Mag Release was definitely an issue locking the mag catch back.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 03-25-16 at 11:39.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Looking for a spare sling I found the answer to my own question here: http://inrd.gotdns.com/alice/zsas.htm

Sling, Small Arms "Soft Weave" 1005-01-083-8113 / part number 11833432 / Adopted 1979

The USMC was extremely unhappy with the silent slings due to their training of traditional slung shooting. Once the supply of the old M1 slings ran dry the USMC began issuing this sling. It is just like the old M1 sling only it uses a mix of modern synthetic materials to soften the weave so it won't slip in the keepers. All the while being an excellent sling for slung up shooting. This is still current USMC issue for Riflemen. The specification states green. But they can be found in white or black for commercial purchase from the same makers that produce the millitary item. These slings are 51 and 3/4 inches long.

Page 28 of 57 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast