Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BH 5.56 50gr TSX vs BH 223 55gr TSX from SBR

Feedback Score

BH 5.56 50gr TSX vs BH 223 55gr TSX from SBR

I have an LWRC UCIW with an 8" barrel. It is difficult to find load that will perform in terms of terminal effectiveness from such a short barrel.

I have read a post on another forum where Jeff from Black Hills says the 5.56 50gr TSX will expand out to 75 yards with an 8" barrel. Which is great, but it is impossible to find this ammo currently.

I know the 50gr TSX BH uses is proprietary and therefore different from the 50gr TSX they offer as a commercial bullet. It is harder to make it barrier blind.

I'm not concerned about barriers. So I am wondering how the 55gr TSX in a 223 loading from BH will perform from my 8" barrel. Basically, assuming no barriers, how far out can I expect this load to perform from my 8" AR.

Also, are there any other loads one might suggest that will perform well from my 8" SBR AR? And Yes, I have read the "Duty Load" post in this forum, but did not come up with a definitive answer. Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by harrishmasher; 04-11-13 at 14:18.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You can expect 100% reliable expansion from 50gr TSX to about 75 yards. Most other loads leave the muzzle from barrel that short already under the fragmentation/expansion threshold.

The 50gr Black Hills TSX performs better than 55gr TSX. It's probably your best choice for that barrel length. Just so you know, the expansion threshold is 2,300fps.

All of this comes from Jeff at Black Hills like you said.

The 55gr TSX has an expansion threshold of 1,900fps, so you still have good distance from an 8" barrel. The 70gr TSX has an expansion threshold of 1,800fps, but I have no clue what the muzzle velocity is of any of them from an 8" barrel.

Something like a 55gr Gold Dot might work well too. I'd be happy with any bullet that gives me reliable expansion/fragmentation out to 50 yards from that short of a barrel.

If you can find a TBBC 55gr in 5.56 instead of 223, you'd have another good option.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 04-11-13 at 17:04.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    Isn't the 55 gr gold dot a JSP? I want to avoid the lead build up on the feed ramps.

I have been looking for months for the 50gr tsx with no luck.
    Last edited by harrishmasher; 04-11-13 at 17:13.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by harrishmasher View Post
    Isn't the 55 gr gold dot a JSP? I want to avoid the lead build up on the feed ramps.

I have been looking for months for the 50gr tsx with no luck.
    Yes, but the lead is hardly exposed unlike many others, so there's little build up, if any. If there is any build up from Gold Dot, it would be hundreds of rounds before any issue.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    Actually the BH 55gr tsx .223 sounds ideal if barriers are not a concern. It will probably expand beyond 75 yards in an 8" barrel.

But it is as hard to find as the 50gr tsx 5.56.

Anyone know where to find some?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Actually the BH 55gr tsx .223 sounds ideal if barriers are not a concern. It will probably expand beyond 75 yards in an 8" barrel.

But it is as hard to find as the 50gr tsx 5.56.

Anyone know where to find some?
    My local shop has them quite often in the Barnes Vor-TX. I've killed a lot of hogs with it as well as a few with the 50gr Black Hills. it's good stuff.

Honestly, I'd be content with the 55gr TSX, 62gr TSX, TBBC and either Gold Dot load.

My local shop is Modern Pawn and Gun. You might try giving them a call at 361-993-9390.

Edit - I'm not sure if they'll ship it or not though.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 04-11-13 at 17:33.

Feedback Score
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BHA 50gr TSX is outstanding. Barrel, barrier, twist blind. A great one-round solution for an armory with many configurations.

That issue is overstated, and dependent on more variables than simple bullet type. Shot and seen shot several cases of the 55 and 64gr GDSP in Colt (and other) carbines without issue.
    Last edited by ST911; 04-11-13 at 22:36.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Never seen any lead build-up with the Gold Dot--this was more of an issue for older non-bonded designs.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It's really hard to beat TSX. Really a great bullet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast