Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New FBI 5.56 mm ammunition RFP

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Franklin View Post
    Who makes that "bear claw" bullet?
    According to Midway, Speer makes them.

Feedback Score
    Jake'sDad is correct. The FBI has previously issued a .223 loading of the 62 gr TBBC--it has always been a superb barrier blind projectile. The military is playing catch up in this regard, although it is unfortunate that they chose to go with the non-bonded version of SOST, as the bonded versions of the SOST/TOTM projectiles are superb (see page 12 here: http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf). Hopefully ATK/Federal can be persuaded to bring the bonded SOST/TOTM loads into full production.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel View Post
    62 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, hmmm. Looks like the FBI has arrived at something quite similar to the Corps' Mk 318 mod 0 "SOST".
    Not really.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
    Where will this be available for purchase?
    I believe that the Federal LE223T3 is the .223 version of it.

C4

Feedback Score
    "solid base bonded JSP" sounds very similar to an "accubond" type projectile.

I bet the federal load is a better barrier projectile with its solid rear portion while the winchester is more accurate. Just a guess.
    Last edited by DRT; 10-07-10 at 19:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    Not really.

Oh that's pretty different. Thanks for the clarification

Dano5326 Guest
    I am amazed that a projectile with an exposed lead tip was adopted on a major fed contract vehicle. I have seen Fed LE with what ATB this bullet before.. and feed issues when some ran their rds in DOD weps/magazines. Lead smeared across the feed lips.....

Reliability trumps any terminal ballistics and I am not surprised to see the USMC adopt a projectile with a more sturdy tip.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    I am amazed that a projectile with an exposed lead tip was adopted on a major fed contract vehicle. I have seen Fed LE with what ATB this bullet before.. and feed issues when some ran their rds in DOD weps/magazines. Lead smeared across the feed lips.....

Reliability trumps any terminal ballistics and I am not surprised to see the USMC adopt a projectile with a more sturdy tip.
    Correct Sir. Flat tipped (lead) bullets are always more likely to have feeding issues (especially if the gun does not M4 feed ramps or the magazine doesn't have an anti-tilt follower).

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post

The Federal .223 version with the same projectile has been around for quite a few years, and used by thousands of LE agencies around the country, including my old department. I've never heard of any issues in feeding with it, but I agree that the Marines chose wisely in picking a more FMJ profile.

North of the border between the US and Miami
    Feedback Score
    I've searched but cannot not find the press release on this. I want to show this to the uppers at my agency. Anyone have it?

Thx

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast