Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best handgun safe for bedside duty?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Best handgun safe for bedside duty?

Hey guys,

My little girl is now 11 months and starting to get around. I keep all my firearms in a safe--except my bedside handgun. I want to go ahead and get a good pistol safe that can be accessed quickly in an emergency.

Anyone have any advice? Anything to avoid?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    http://www.gunvault.com/

i've got one of the mediumish sized models.. i've got a real simple, but not easily guessable code, and can have a condition 1 pistol in 3 seconds without exerting myself nor getting out of bed
    Last edited by bkb0000; 05-11-10 at 22:31.

Feedback Score
    I use a V-Line model as I got tired of batteries and electronics going tits up and wondering if it was going to work when I might need to get in the safe the most. I don't remember what brand of electronic safe I had previous to the V-Line, and it worked fine at first, but after a few years it started acting weird and the batteries would die just a few weeks after replacing them. The V-Line sure ain't going to stop a determined individual (i.e. a thief) from getting in, but I feel great about the isolation it provides between my kids (ages 8, 5, and 1.5) and my nightstand handgun.

I liked my night stand version so much, I bought thier in-wall mounted long gun safe to keep my wife's Noveske a bit more readily accessible.
    Last edited by 3CTactical; 05-11-10 at 23:43.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    This thread is relevant to my interests.

Feedback Score
    I bought two GunVault Microvault's direct from their factory website on the same order and both failed. The first had a keypad failure in the first hour, the other had a faulty latch mechanism straight from the factory. Customer service is tip-top but I lost confidence in the product after having TWO fail immediately.

My experience is that nearly all pistol vaults are bottom of the barrel sub-contracted Chinese junk. Perhaps something with a mechanical Simplex lock like the Fort Knox Pistol Box would be more acceptable for your needs. Also, check out the Smith & Wesson branded line from Truck Vault. I also bought the compact V-line and the quality was reasonable but it did not work within the dimensions of my narrow and compact nightstand. Unfortunately the pickings seem slim if you are quality oriented.
    Last edited by Powder_Burn; 05-11-10 at 23:48. Reason: Added content...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I've got a gunvault....not sure how durable it is as I've only owned it for a year now but so far so good. No way it'd keep someone from stealing the gun as it's not bolted down or anything (just sits under the bed), it's mostly just to keep little kids from getting their hands on the gun.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder_Burn View Post
    I bought two GunVault Microvault's direct from their factory website on the same order and both failed. The first had a keypad failure in the first hour, the other had a faulty latch mechanism straight from the factory. Customer service is tip-top but I lost confidence in the product after having TWO fail immediately.

My experience is that nearly all pistol vaults are bottom of the barrel sub-contracted Chinese junk. Perhaps something with a mechanical Simplex lock like the Fort Knox Pistol Box would be more acceptable for your needs. Also, check out the Smith & Wesson branded line from Truck Vault. I also bought the compact V-line and the quality was reasonable but it would not work within the dimensions of my nightstand. Unfortunately the pickings seem slim if you are quality oriented.
    i only have experience with my one, but it's been perfectly functional for over 3 years with only 1 or 2 battery changes

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    does she sleep in your room? if not, keep the firearm out at night with your bedroom door locked and lock the weapon in the safe the minute you awake.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    Those Fort Knox boxes look pretty stout. They appear to use the same kind of Simplex lock as the V-Line models.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lethal dose View Post
    does she sleep in your room? if not, keep the firearm out at night with your bedroom door locked and lock the weapon in the safe the minute you awake.
    I don't know about your situation, but I would not feel comfortable keeping my bedroom door locked with my children in another room (unless it's me and the misses' special time ) as I could not be as easily alerted to bumps in the night or hearing my children calling or screaming for me if something was going down.
    Last edited by 3CTactical; 05-11-10 at 23:55.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast