Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best handgun safe for bedside duty?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brian556 View Post
    If you keep entering the first button push in your code until the light turns green you can complete your code from there and the box will open after the correct sequence is entered.
    I would like to find something a little easier to get into with out the lock out feature.
    THat was a concern with me but I just set a code that's hitting the same two buttons together (index and ring finger) three times so even if it doesn't register the first hit it'll still open if i keep pushing those buttons and chances are very low that someone would randomly hit those two buttons together three times.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    THat was a concern with me but I just set a code that's hitting the same two buttons together (index and ring finger) three times so even if it doesn't register the first hit it'll still open if i keep pushing those buttons and chances are very low that someone would randomly hit those two buttons together three times.
    Wow thats a great idea, gonna have to look for the manual to change my code now. Thanks!!!

One more helpful tip, Always leave the bedside safe open when you're not using it. I never keep a firearm in it when Im not home. They are either on my person or in my real safe which is bolted down. They are too easy to defeat to use as your only way of securing a firearm in your home when you are away. I don't even bother bolting the bed side safe to anything. it is only used as a deterrent to keep my kids away from my carry pistol.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    http://www.gunvault.com/

i've got one of the mediumish sized models.. i've got a real simple, but not easily guessable code, and can have a condition 1 pistol in 3 seconds without exerting myself nor getting out of bed
    This is exactly what I use and how I use it. I highly recommend it.

Real simple and real easy, very secure.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The non-electronic Simplex locks are the way to go. No batteries to fail and pretty foolproof. Don't set the combination to require two buttons being pushed simulataneously as the locks are picky about hitting them exactly simultaneously.

Some smart-aleck will doubtless point out that the Simplex lock only supports 1,084 different combinations (see http://www.topbits.com/how-to-open-a-simplex-lock.html) and that a determined person could just work through them all. We need to remember we're talking about child-proofing access to the pistol. Once a child is old enough and smart enough to look this stuff up on the web and unsupervised long enough to try combination after combination (not forgetting to reset between tries) then that child ought to have been gun-proofed and know how to behave.

Only a few makers offer quick-safes with the Simplex lock nowadays. V-Line is one.

Rosco
    Last edited by Rosco Benson; 05-12-10 at 16:01.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    The non-electronic Simplex locks are the way to go. No batteries to fail and pretty foolproof. Don't set the combination to require two buttons being pushed simulataneously as the locks are picky about hitting them exactly simultaneously.

Some smart-aleck will doubtless point out that the Simplex lock only supports 1,084 different combinations (see http://www.topbits.com/how-to-open-a-simplex-lock.html) and that a determined person could just work through them all. We need to remember we're talking about child-proofing access to the pistol. Once a child is old enough and smart enough to look this stuff up on the web and unsupervised long enough to try combination after combination (not forgetting to reset between tries) then that child ought to have been gun-proofed and know how to behave.

Only a few makers offer quick-safes with the Simplex lock nowadays. V-Line is one.

Rosco
    I have one of these in route to help with a curious 3 y/o.

http://www.vlineind.com/html/top_draw.html

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I've been using the Gunvault Mini on the night stand for about 18 months.I've yet to change the battery despite getting into it at least a dozen times per week(slow week).

I've been thinking about going ahead changing the battery even though the low indicator hasn't come on.

...I may have used lithium.

I also keep the key on my neck in case there's an issue with the power etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    I've been using the Gunvault Mini on the night stand for about 18 months.I've yet to change the battery despite getting into it at least a dozen times per week(slow week).

I've been thinking about going ahead changing the battery even though the low indicator hasn't come on.

...I may have used lithium.

I also keep the key on my neck in case there's an issue with the power etc.
    Visit this site to help you how to choose the best gun safe .
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have multiple quick access safes using the simplex mechanical lock.

Fort Knox, V-line, and Shotlock are all worth getting. Just find the one that has the dimensions and opening-direction you want for the specific location and firearm(s).

I have purchased from Amazon and Costo, personally.

I consider turning the nob left/counter clockwise the first step towards opening. Turn nob left, enter combo (all programmed identically), turn nob right, open. No batteries, no electronics.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    I have multiple quick access safes using the simplex mechanical lock.

Fort Knox, V-line, and Shotlock are all worth getting. Just find the one that has the dimensions and opening-direction you want for the specific location and firearm(s).

I have purchased from Amazon and Costo, personally.

I consider turning the nob left/counter clockwise the first step towards opening. Turn nob left, enter combo (all programmed identically), turn nob right, open. No batteries, no electronics.
    Update:
    My gun vault stopped working about 2 years ago. The cable that releases the lock mechanism broke and they said it was not repairable. I've since switched to a cheaper bed side safe by stack on which I like a lot better because the way it opens. I used to get locked out of my gun vault because I wouldn't know where I was in the sequence when I miss punched the code. Never had that problem with this one and no cables or fancy gimmicks to break. Sleep better knowing I can get into this one in a hurry or half asleep.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Another vote against GunVault. Used one extensively when my daughter was younger. Parts of the latch fell out, battery wires came off and eventually keypad failed. I got to the point I would just place the key in the lock at night or open it up before bed, too many times it just didn't open. Ended up with a very heavy simplex locked model, I can't remember the brand but it's similar to the one pictured earlier in this thread. Simplex lock and .25 thick everywhere!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast