Thread: M4 Feed ramps ???

Feedback Score

M4 Feed ramps ???

If I use an upper with M4 feed ramps do I have to use a special barrel? I am looking at using a Mega upper with a Stag barrel assembly but after doing some reading I started to wonder if I need a special type of barrel with the M4 feed ramps.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Yes if your upper has M4 ramps you have to use barrel with M4 ramps. You can use ramped barrel with standard receiver however the benefit of the ramps will be cancelled.

Feedback Score
    Any suggestions for a barrel for the upper with M4 feed ramps?

Feedback Score
    Depending one your wants/needs i would recommend CMMG ( www.CmmgINC.com ) or Noveske ( www.GandRtactical.com <under noveske in the manufacture listing or www.noveskerifleworks.com )

Feedback Score
    I am interested in the CMMG barrels. I like the 16 Mid-Length Gov't Profile Barrel. Now I have new questions. This barrel specifies “M4 barrel extensions” does this mean that it works with an upper that has M4 feed ramps?

What is the difference between a flat delta ring and just a delta ring?

Should I add any dura coat option or not? Anyone have a picture of a CMMG barrel with the dura coat?

What front sight/gas block option should I choose?

What are the differences in the handguard Cap/End Cap options?

I know I have a lot of questions but I want to get this right. I am relatively new to the black rifles but I have been doing a lot of reading.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
    Last edited by kg6mti; 05-15-07 at 20:41. Reason: Add link

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kg6mti View Post
    Now I have new questions. This barrel specifies “M4 barrel extensions” does this mean that it works with an upper that has M4 feed ramps?
    Here's a pic from the VLTOR website of the MUR upper receiver.

See how the ramps extend down into the upper receiver? Rifle ramps end at the barrel extension. If you use a M4 ramped upper receiver and a rifle ramped barrel, it creates a lip of steel from the barrel extension and can cause the rounds to hit it and jam the rifle. M4 ramps aren't needed on semi-auto rifles. You do need to pay attention and use the correct type of barrel with whichever upper you happen to buy.
    If you have an upper receiver with M4 ramps you need to use a barrel with a M4 ramped barrel extension.

What is the difference between a flat delta ring and just a delta ring?
    The flat one is like on the old M16/M16-A1, it didn't have taper to it and was harder to pull back to remove the handguards.

Should I add any dura coat option or not? Anyone have a picture of a CMMG barrel with the dura coat?
    I wouldn't as I Gunkote and Norrels my own barrels. I would leave a stainless barrel natural as I like the bead blasted stainless look.

What front sight/gas block option should I choose?
    This depends on what you plan on doing with the AR. If you're planning on a LaRue, Daniel Defense or similar type freefloat rail, get it with a low profile gas block (if you don't want the factory FSB on the gun and want the gas block covered), without a delta ring and without a handguard cap. You only need these parts for normal handguards, Surefire rails and the like. If you're going to run Surefire rails they are handguard cap specific so be sure to be the correct rail for either a triangular or round handguard cap.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)