Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need for roll pin holders/starters?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Need for roll pin holders/starters?

Hey Guys,

So I received my Noveske stripped lower in and also the DD lpk that I ordered, I am going to order some tools very soon so I can finally have this thing built, I am planning on ordering a vise block an the roll pin starters and punches that I need, when I compiled all the things I needed it was going to be $42 in punches alone and that was only for 8 of them. So my question is, do I really need roll pin holders/starters? Or can I start the roll pins with the actual roll pin punch? I searched and searched but to no avail.

Thanks Guys,
    Winter
    "After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

FOX is NOT news, its entertainment

"AND ITS HARD. . .TO HOLD BACK THE HATE"

Feedback Score
    Need? Probably not, but it will make it MUCH easier. I did not have one, but I ended up making one because I was struggling to get the pins in. I say get one.

Jeremy

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Roll pin punches are not necessary but I find them helpful. With standard punches you run a grater risk of deforming the pin or having the punch slip and scratch the receiver.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Need no

Need for the starting punches no, but would it make life easier yes.

I did it with a vice grip and a small hammer to get them in. Just move a lot slower if you are going to do them this way. Not really difficult a little more time consuming i would say.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ok great, thanks for the replies, I am going to just order the holder/starter because I am going to be building a couple lowers.

Thanks
    "After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Feedback Score
    Roll pin holders are not really necessary. If you do a lot of work, then they are good to have. If you are only doing a couple rifles then a needle nose, or vise grips work very very well.

In this video I show both methods starting around the 6:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swa_86Ewhr0

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Roll pin holders are not really necessary. If you do a lot of work, then they are good to have. If you are only doing a couple rifles then a needle nose, or vise grips work very very well.

In this video I show both methods starting around the 6:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swa_86Ewhr0
    Thanks man, I watched the vid and I think I am going to just get a set of roll pin punches and standard punches and try it your way, by the way, say I were to get a holder. Brownells states that I need a # 1,2,3 and 4 roll pin holder/starter for assembling a lower. Do I need all 4?
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Feedback Score
    The only roll pins on the lower will be for the bolt catch and trigger guard. The bolt catch is a #3 roll pin holder and the trigger guard roll pin holder is a #4.

In all honesty if it were me and I were only doing a couple of lowers, I wouldn't purchase them even with my discount price.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    The only roll pins on the lower will be for the bolt catch and trigger guard. The bolt catch is a #3 roll pin holder and the trigger guard roll pin holder is a #4.

In all honesty if it were me and I were only doing a couple of lowers, I wouldn't purchase them even with my discount price.
    So I take it I'll only need the #3 and #4 roll pin punch correct?
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i've pushed roll pins through a piece of paper, used tweezers, needle-nose pliers, etc.. i don't ever have any trouble with LPK roll pins, but gas tube pins often get my blood boiling. and buffer roll pins- for all their size, i still have trouble getting those started sometimes. the other really aggrivating one is forward assist assembly roll pins- i think i've destroyed more of those than any other kind. if there were an extremely inexpensive, GOOD roll-pin holder/starter available, i'd probably buy one.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 05-17-10 at 17:59.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast