Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need for roll pin holders/starters?

Feedback Score
    I never used a roll pin holder for my lowers. I really only needed for the gas tube pin. And like said above, the pin for the foreward assist was a real bitch. Infact, I will never get a stripped upper because of that.

Jeremy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    So I take it I'll only need the #3 and #4 roll pin punch correct?
    If I am getting my roll pin holder numbers correct, which I am pretty sure I am, yes these are the only 2 you need for the lower. Again for $25 for my price from Brownells for the 2 holders, I would probably pass, unless if I do this often. Which I do.

OK, I just checked my kit and yes it is the #3 for the bolt catch pin and the #4 for the trigger guard.
    Last edited by Surf; 05-18-10 at 02:54.

Feedback Score
    In reference to the forward assist......

Out of curiosity, are you guys depressing the forward assist inward then driving in the roll pin all the way through?

Start the roll pin (slightly). Then depress the forward assist and take a punch and push it through the opposite side hole until it hits the roll pin that you just started, then release tension on the forward assist. This captures the forward assist and the spring tension from the forward assist will hold the punch in place. Then using a punch drive the pin all the way in which will walk out the punch from the other side. When done correctly the pin goes in pretty easily, just like any other roll pin. If done incorrectly and not depressing the forward assist, you will fight like hell with it and probably mushroom / ruin quite a few pins.
    Last edited by Surf; 05-18-10 at 03:01.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I picked up a cheap set of roll pin starters from Midway a few months ago and would never go back to the old way:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=694883

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Great thanks for all the help, I might have been beating a dead horse but you guys still came through.

Thanks,
    Winter
    "After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

FOX is NOT news, its entertainment

"AND ITS HARD. . .TO HOLD BACK THE HATE"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12